Do vs does

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

The majority of them do or the majority of them does? In my language it keeps singular to agree with majority, but I'm not sure this happens in English. :confused:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I would say "do"... Maybe "does" is possible as well but I'm not sure. It's arguably more logical, but "do" feels more natural to me.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

I'm a native, and I've never said "the majority of them does".

B

Bitmap

My native language uses singular as well, but my English language teachers made a big deal out of that ... it's a bit of constructio ad sensum.

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

It sounded weird all right. I can trust my instincts in English, in a way. :think:

(That's what I'm talking about in what concerns Latin in the other thread: I don't feel like I have instincts... I only have doubts.) (Or on the other thread may sound better indeed... :crazy: )

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

To a perfect crime in renaming this thread you would need first letter capitalized and a dot after the vs: "Do vs. does". ;):D

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

To a perfect crime in renaming this thread you would need first letter capitalized and a dot after the vs: "Do vs. does". ;):D
The terms of service of this forum are that you use a specific rather than vague thread title

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

The terms of service of this forum are that you use a specific rather than vague thread title

That's absolutely acceptable. The lack of the capital letter in the beginning (and the dot, before I know that it isn't used) is that doesn't fit to a thread by me. But then, the title was altered, so, no problem too. ;)

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Why! thank you... :hat:

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

I love how all the emojis are synced. :hat:

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

And now it's a perfect crime. :cool:

My thought of the vague thread title, Cinefactus, was to be able to use the same thread for any basic (or silly) grammar question I came up with. I believe in this case I should open a new thread for each specific doubt each time they appear then. :think:

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

I generally use the singular in constructions such as these if I'm being careful. Some sound considerably worse than others.

A pack of dogs runs through the forest.
A herd of cattle stands in the field.

The vast majority of voters seem(s) to agree with Trump.
This group of idiots just do(es) whatever it(they) want(s).

I think the trouble is twofold:
First, you already have the phrase 'kind of' (as in 'type of') and also 'sort of', both of which reduce to /kinda/ and /sorta/, being conflated with 'kind of/sort of' as in 'to a certain (minimal) degree'. As a result, you hear things like: 'I think these kinda things are best left to officials.' where the correct English is, of course, 'I think these kinds of things are...'

Second, because the endings are both the same, it just sounds dumb. It sounds like the plurality of the partitive noun has somehow oozed into the following verb.

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Another one: people who do or people who does?