Egressurum esse

john abshire

• Patronus

Arbitrabar eum ex urbe cum decem amicis egressurum esse.
I kept thinking that he would go out of the city with (his) ten friends.

egressurum esse = he will or he would?

Notascooby

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Looks good to me, as to your question your instinct will be your best guide here John.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

egressurum esse = he will or he would?
It depends on context, mainly the tense of the main verb.

Arbitror eum egressurum esse = I think him to be going to go out = I think he will go out.
Arbitrabar eum egressurum esse = I thought him to be going to go out = I thought he would go out.

Notascooby

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Not trying to be wide here Pacifica. When I said that instinct would be a good guide for John to determine the would/ will distinction was I right?

This, as I say is, not an attempt at being wide(cheeky) but a genuine question, I answered the question in good faith lol.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

When I said that instinct would be a good guide for John to determine the would/ will distinction was I right?
To an extent. Some people will know on instinct that "will" usually makes sense after a present-tense verb and "would" after a past-tense one. Others won't and will need to see the rule laid out for them.

Notascooby

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

To an extent. Some people will know on instinct that "will" usually makes sense after a present-tense verb and "would" after a past-tense one. Others won't and will need to see the rule laid out for them.
My bad, thanks for clarifying:)

john abshire

• Patronus

Arbitror eum egressurum esse = I think him to be going to go out = I think he will go out.
Arbitrabar eum egressurum esse = I thought him to be going to go out = I thought he would go out.
this helps a lot. My confusion stemmed mainly from the usage of “would” when translating subjunctive verbs, and I had not seen this when translating indicative. Plus my English grammar is not very strong. (I have had to learn English along the way, trying to learn Latin.)

john abshire

• Patronus

Looks good to me, as to your question your instinct will be your best guide here John.
I can now see what you mean, if you phrase it like “I kept thinking” or “I think” , imperfect and present tenses. “I kept thinking he would” ; “I think he will” each sound right.
Thanks

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

"Would" is used in a few different ways, not all of which correspond to the Latin subjunctive. The main (though not quite all) uses of "would" are briefly explained here. Maybe it will help if you take a look.
I had not seen this when translating indicative.
Egressurum esse is infinitive, not indicative. But the imperfect indicative can sometimes translate with "would" (see the link above).