everything happens for a reason

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

"ex nihilo nihil fit" sounds to me more like "if you don't try, you'll never make it"
I've mostly heard it in philosophical contexts (which is how I interpret the OP's phrase).

TattooReason

"ex nihilo nihil fit" sounds to me more like "if you don't try, you'll never make it"
I agree, sh*t! :D

LEAR (…) what can you say to draw a third more opulent than your sisters? Speak.
CORDELIA Nothing, my lord.
LEAR Nothing!
CORDELIA Nothing.
LEAR Nothing will come of nothing. Speak again.
CORDELIA Unhappy that I am, I cannot heave my heart into my mouth. I love your Majesty according to my bond; no more nor less.
[2]
(I. 1.)
@Bitmap and if you think about my reason, do you agree with nihil fit sine causa?

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

I know.
I think of it as the former.
Well, now I'm wondering. Come to think of it, the original phrase could mean either:

"Everything happens for a reason" -> "nothing can occur without some cause"

or

"Everything happens for a reason" -> "there is some ultimate rationale/purpose/end for the sake of which everything that happens, happens."

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Well, now I'm wondering. Come to think of it, the original phrase could mean either:

"Everything happens for a reason" -> "nothing can occur without some cause"

or

"Everything happens for a reason" -> "there is some ultimate rationale/purpose/end for the sake of which everything that happens, happens."
I understand it as 2) as well. In both cases I understand "some reason" as opposed to "no reason".

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

I could see someone understanding #2 in the sense of "certain [unspecified] reason" more easily, though.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I could see someone understanding #2 in the sense of "certain [unspecified] reason" more easily, though.
Really? When I hear "for a reason" my instinctive interpretation is that the point is that there is a reason for whatever thing is being talked about, as opposed to there being no reason, it being just random.

TattooReason

Really? When I hear "for a reason" my instinctive interpretation is that the point is that there is a reason for whatever thing is being talked about, as opposed to there being no reason, it being just random.
I cannot agree. Unspecified reason does not mean random reason.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Unspecified reason does not mean random reason.
I've never said it did.

What I'm saying is that I interpret "for a reason" as the opposite of "for no reason". When I hear "for a reason" I take the point to be that there is a reason.

For instance "everything happens for a reason" to me means "things don't happen for no reason", "things don't happen randomly".

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Nihil fit sine causa was originally written in a different context: with reference to cause and effect (as in, say, the cause of a glass breaking being the fact that it was dropped) rather than final causes/purposes/aims (as in, say, the reason of some shit happening being that God wanted to teach someone a lesson). But I guess there's no reason why it couldn't, in theory, also work for the second meaning.

TattooReason

I've never said it did.

What I'm saying is that I interpret "for a reason" as the opposite of "for no reason". When I hear "for a reason" I take the point to be that there is a reason.

For instance "everything happens for a reason" to me means "things don't happen for no reason", "things don't happen randomly".
I am sorry, I was confused by "it just being random" but I understand now.

Nihil fit sine causa was originally written in a different context: with reference to cause and effect (as in, say, the cause of a glass breaking being the fact that it was dropped) rather than final causes/purposes/aims (as in, say, the reason of some shit happening being that God wanted to teach someone a lesson). But I guess there's no reason why it couldn't, in theory, also work for the second meaning.
I think no one around me understands Latin so perfect to argue with me if the first or the second should be applied to my tattoo, haha. :) Based on this, do you agree with it? Better than omnia causa fiunt? :D