everything happens for a reason

B

Bitmap

LOL
at, si omnia fato fiunt, omnia causis antecedentibus fiunt; non igitur fato fiunt, quaecumque fiunt.
The other sentence was taken out of a conditional clause as well. I suppose the point of the Cicero reference is just to show that the expression is classical, not that it was his viewpoint.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I suppose the point of the Cicero reference is just to show that the expression is classical, not that it was his viewpoint.
I think it is a great translation. It was just funny that Cicero was saying the opposite.

TattooReason

I am back and I would like to ask you all for a favor. Nihil fit sine causa sounds most accurately but I am afraid of how it will look on my skin. Is there any other way how to say everything happens for a reason/nothing happens without a reason, in three words, best (but it is not a condition)?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

What is it that you don't like about the look of nihil fit sine causa? Is it a particular word or words in it? I'm asking because if so, we'd better know which word(s) you want to avoid before we rack our brains only to find it was all for nothing because what we excogitated contains the word you don't like the look of. ;)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Nihil can be shortened to nil. Is that better? You can also, if you like, reduce the sentence to three words by dropping fit ("happens"), leaving it implied: nil sine causa = "nothing without a reason".

TattooReason

It doesn't look bad at all! What about "everything with a reason" - does it exist? Apologies, if I had so many requests but it's still a tattoo, and Google can't help me with this.

EstQuodFulmineIungo

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

If we were to keep the idea stemmed from the discussion:

Umquam nullam rem e nihilo gigni
This is from Lucretius Carus and means "nothing, ever, stemmed from nothing".
or:
Nullam rem e nihilo gigni
Nothing stems from nothing
or its slight variation:
De nilo nil creatur
Nothing is created from nothing
Or an even shorter one can be made if we unceremoniously get rid of the verb:
De nilo nil
Literally: Nothing from nothing

OR:
If I were to literally say "everything with a reason ", I might spend a lot of words. Mottoes need to be short and tatooes too.
I would slightly change the medieval juridical saying:
Causa causae est causa causati
Which means "The cause of the cause is the cause of what has been caused"

Note how sintetical: 5 words in latin = 13 words in english.
I will now destroy this harmony.
So, just a little variation could do it and, say:

Causa causati semper est

Which could be translated as: "there is always a cause to what has been caused".

Please note that the latin word "causa" means also "reason"

But before you print anything on your skin, which deserves much better than a grammatical error I might have done, I hope someone more skilled than me will give an "imprimatur" or suggest something different.

Last edited:

TattooReason

Thank you, @EstQuodFulmineIungo! As I mentioned, this will serve me as a "reminder" and the reason why I don't want it in English is obvious. Everyone would know what does it mean after seeing it. The grammatical error is embarrassing a lot in English, but not sooo much in Latin because almost no one will understand it! :D

But, I'm inclined to nil sine causa which I can turn around and tell "everyone" that it means everything with a reason. This also cannot be applied if I have a tattoo in English.