evidence and confession

john abshire

• Patronus

Sit denique scriptum in fronte unius cuiusque quid de re publica sentiat; nam rem publicam laboribus consiliisque meis ex igne atque ferro ereptam esse videtis. Haec iam exponam breviter ut scire possitis qua ratione comprehensa sint. Semper providi quo modo in tantis insidiis salvi esse possemus. Omnes dies consumpsi ut viderem quid coniurati acturi essent. Denique litteras intercipere potui quae ad Catilinam a Lentulo aliisque coniuratis missae erant.

Let the writing finally be on the brow of one of which and anyone feeling (thus) about the state; for we seem to be a state of my work and purpose rescued out of fire and iron. ..........................

I feel sure this is not right, but it is the best i can do.
The first sentence begins with sit. Is it a command clause, close to as i have it written?

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Finally, let it be written...

videtis: you see (followed by ACI)

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

John, are you sure you're ready to tackle this master of all Latin stylistic masters?

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

unius cuiusque is the genitive of unusquisque, just translate it as of everyone.
The first part is from In Catilinam I 32. The next is cobbled together with bits of In Cat III

john abshire

• Patronus

John, are you sure you're ready to tackle this master of all Latin stylistic masters?
No. The passage is in my textbook, and is there for us to identify clause types. But there is no answer key, so I am also trying to translate the sentences, then present it here for practice. It is some comfort to learn this passage is difficult.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Is scriptum not the subject?
No. The subject is quid de re publica sentiat—that is what should be written on each person's forehead. But in English you need to put a dummy "it" subject first.