Factus Homo Factor Hominis Factique Redemptor Iudico Corporeus Corpora Corda Deus

ELCore

Since I first saw a photo of it almost a year ago, I have been fascinated by this gorgeous 12th-century Christ Pantocrator icon, a mosaic on the apse of the Cathedral of the Transfiguration, in the city of Cefalú on the island of Sicily.

I would like to have a translation of the inscription, of which this is my transcription:

+ Factus Homo Factor Hominis Factique Redemptor + Iudico Corporeus Corpora Corda Deus -

(The word before "Redemptor" is not actually spelled out, as can be seen in the image below; I surmise that it is a contraction of "Factique".)

I have spent some time trying to find a translation somewhere on the Web, but nothing seems satisfactory. The only thing I am fairly certain about is that the words of the inscription are supposed to be those of Christ; that is, the inscription is not about Him but is ascribed to Him. I also think the wording might be especially concise, to fit in the available space. Also, this church is a unique blend of several traditions, such as Norman, Greek, and Arabic, so I am thinking that the wording of the inscription may be somewhat idiosyncratic, too.

Thank you.

The writing on the open Book of the Gospels, beginning in Greek characters but ending in Latin characters, is John 8:12: "I am the light of the world, who follows me will not wander in the darkness but will have the light of life."

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Hello,

It's along the lines of: the creator of man and redemptor of the created* made man, I, god endowed with a body, judge the bodies and the hearts.

*or "the creator, redemptor of the created man". Hard to tell actually.

No, no, no, I hadn't seen the -que, but with it is the first one: the creator of man and the redemptor of the created, made man, I, god endowed with a body judge the bodies and the hearts.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

What about something like:
Having made man, I God, the maker of man and the redeemer of the created, having become flesh, judge body and soul.
cor in the bible is usually rendered by heart, so that might be better than soul.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Factus homo is "(having been) made man", not "having made man" - but maybe you just forgot to type "been". It's like I said:

Creator of man and redemptor/redeemer of the created, (having been) made man, I, god endowed with a body (or if you like incarnated or become flesh), judge the bodies and the hearts.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

What about something like:
Having made man, I God, the maker of man and the redeemer of the created, having become flesh, judge body and soul.
cor in the bible is usually rendered by heart, so that might be better than soul.
Literal:
Made a man, the Maker of man and Redeemer of that made, as God embodied I judge bodies [and] hearts.

Better:
I, the Maker of man and the Redeemer of that which I have made, having become myself a man, as God incarnate judge both body and soul.

Abatedi Theleme

Hi,

our site is called "corporeus corpora" itself, cause of that massive mosaic... yes, in my opinion you are right, that sentence cannot be by anyone else but Christ Himself, in the idea of the artist (and his mecenate, i.e. Rogier II, Norman grat king). The Church opinion is it's a sort of "summary" of Vangel's ideas ... but it's not true. That sentence is so "gnomic" and tipically Christic and furthemore who would have dared to put a "fantasy sentence", in first person (gramatically speaking), on Christ's head?
But for what we know such a quotation it doesn't come from Vangel. It's not reported... ;)

We talk about this, of course in italian, just here: http://corporeuscorpora.blogspot.it/2012/07/in-futuro-1-corporeus-corpora-corda.html
There is a authomatic translator, it could help.

The question has a great relevance, maybe more than you can imagine.
Civis ilustris' traslation is fine for the very first part: "I, the Maker of man and the Redeemer of that which I have made, having become myself a man" ... but the following sentence "iudico corporeus corpora, corda Deus" it's much more like "I judge body as body (incarnated), hearth(soul, will) as God".

Do you understand the deep and hidden menaing of this stuff? :)

If you could, we can go on talkin' ... cause you put the finger in a real, big, controversial, "hoot" ... that hides itself in the very deep roots of Christianism and religion.
And it may be able to make Dan Brown turnin' pink, eventually :)))

Cave canem

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

That makes more sense indeed.
FACTVS HOMO FACTOR HOMINIS FACTIQUE REDEMPTOR​
IVDICO CORPOREVS CORPORA CORDA DEVS​
Literal:​
Made a man, the Maker of man and Redeemer of that made,​
as one embodied I judge the bodies, the hearts [I judge] as God.​

Better:
I, the Maker of man and the Redeemer of that which I made,
having become myself a man, judge the flesh as one who was made flesh,
but as God I judge the soul.

Abatedi Theleme

That makes more sense indeed.
FACTVS HOMO FACTOR HOMINIS FACTIQUE REDEMPTOR​
IVDICO CORPOREVS CORPORA CORDA DEVS​
Literal:​
Made a man, the Maker of man and Redeemer of that made,​
as one embodied I judge the bodies, the hearts [I judge] as God.​

Better:
I, the Maker of man and the Redeemer of that which I made,
having become myself a man, judge the flesh as one who was made flesh,
but as God I judge the soul.

Right.
Now,

Ever heard about someone judging his pairs from a condition of equality?
To judge you are supposed to be upon, not under nor at the same height... os am I wrong?

So ... ?

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Hi,

but the following sentence "iudico corporeus corpora, corda Deus" it's much more like "I judge body as body (incarnated), hearth(soul, will) as God".
I'd say your interpretation is very likely. I'm still struggling with the theological side of it, though. Is God even interested in what our bodies do? Aren't bodies just empty vessels? What is there to judge in an empty vessel?

ELCore

Thank you all very much! I appreciate your thoughts and efforts.

ELCore

How about this?

The Maker of Man Made Man, Redeemer of What He Had Made -- God Incarnate, Judge of Body and Soul