For Pacifica - random quotes on Arabic and Qur'an

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

فانثال عليها العلماء انثيال جودها على الصفات

I didn't understand جودها على الصفات so I looked up the French translation. It says "les savants s'y rassemblèrent en nombre si considérable qu'on ne peut le décrire". With that help, my literal interpretation of the whole clause is "the scholars thronged in/toward it with a thronging whose abundance (i.e. number, multitude) is against descriptions (i.e. makes description impossible)". Is that right?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Ah, no, that can't be quite right. ها- can't be referring to انثيال as it's the wrong gender. I guess then ها- refers to the scholars? "Scholars thronged with a thronging, with a number of them (= scholars) against descriptions (= beyond description)"?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Or maybe جود is a type-2 verb, and ها- the object. I was thinking such a verb might mean something like "to fill (abundantly)" but I found it with another meaning: "to improve". So... "with a thronging that improved it (= the caliph's residence) beyond description"? Grammatically that seems a better fit than my previous theory, but the meaning would kind of seem to imply that the caliph's residence may not have been excellent before, and I'm not sure the praiseful author would have dared give even the slightest hint of such an idea.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Maybe the idea is really something like "adorn" or "make exceedingly good" rather than "improve".

Clemens

Aedilis

• Aedilis

That’s the only hypothesis I was familiar with, actually.
Maybe the other hypothesis has some validity, but my hunch is that medieval Muslim scholars would have found the word Allah to be too sacred and unique to be associated with the etymology of something so temerarious as a false deity.

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

فانثال عليها العلماء انثيال جودها على الصفات

I didn't understand جودها على الصفات so I looked up the French translation. It says "les savants s'y rassemblèrent en nombre si considérable qu'on ne peut le décrire". With that help, my literal interpretation of the whole clause is "the scholars thronged in/toward it with a thronging whose abundance (i.e. number, multitude) is against descriptions (i.e. makes description impossible)". Is that right?
Again I copy-pasted the sentence and stumbled upon this version which is great because it’s got vocab footnotes! : https://books.google.fr/books?id=iLtsDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA25&lpg=PA25&dq=فانثال+عليها+العلماء+انثيال+جودها+على+الصفات&source=bl&ots=Ji45b_XvSj&sig=ACfU3U2xVJcCXPf9Cpc6FgZ-tE9FKPYzFw&hl=fr&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi67vuA_cj3AhUk-YUKHaOkCBEQ6AF6BAgWEAM#v=onepage&q=فانثال عليها العلماء انثيال جودها على الصفات&f=false

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Maybe the other hypothesis has some validity, but my hunch is that medieval Muslim scholars would have found the word Allah to be too sacred and unique to be associated with the etymology of something so temerarious as a false deity.
I had the same suspicion.

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

And the Arabic ’interpretation’ of the... Arabic is very different from the French one.
الجود = المطر الغزير = heavy rain
الصفة - الصخرة الملساء- smooth rock

Last edited:

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

الصفة - الصخرة اللمساء - smooth rock
I looked that one up because it sounded strange to me, and there is yet another possibility, صفة also refers to a porch in front of a mosque where people could take shelter when it rained. Which would make perfect sense here.
Interesting how many seemingly valid interpretations one can come up with, with that kind of texts.

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Here I’ve got some Latin for you:
1651776319314.png

1651776371276.png

The "taking shelter when it rained" may be just me conflating the actual definitions and the original sentence!

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Ah, no, that can't be quite right. ها- can't be referring to انثيال as it's the wrong gender. I guess then ها- refers to the scholars? "Scholars thronged with a thronging, with a number of them (= scholars) against descriptions (= beyond description)"?
I would say ها refers to the city/residence الحضرة
So, scholars flock to this place (pour down on it) like its (the place’s) heavy rains pour down on its porches.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Yes, at least that’s how I guessed what it meant the first time I heard it!
I heard the word تسويف in that series I'm watching, saw it translated as "procrastination" in the subtitles and I was like "Wait... could it be???!!!"

This is exceedingly awesome!