French: Les Rectifications de 1990

Clemens

Aedilis

• Aedilis

How widespread are these accepted among native speakers? I imagine certain ones pass without comment and others cause strong opinions.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I don't know... It's not like people around me often discuss it. For my part I still use spellings like "boîte" and "paraître", though I occasionally use the newer spellings when I feel lazy to add that accent.

Clemens

Aedilis

• Aedilis

I don't know... It's not like people around me often discuss it. For my part I still use spellings like "boîte" and "paraître", though I occasionally use the newer spellings when I feel lazy to add that accent.
I still use the old spellings, even though I understand the logic of the changes, just because that's what I'm used to.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

I didn't know about them. Is it just selected circumflexes that have been banished?

Clemens

Aedilis

• Aedilis

There are many changes, one of which is the removal of the circumflex from i and u, except where needed to distinguish homographs, or in the passé simple or imperfect subjunctive.

Other changes include making the use of é and è match (French) pronunciation better, regularizing compound nouns and their plurals, changing how the tréma works and expanding its use, and making more verbs behave like acheter rather than appeler.

Last edited:
E

Etaoin Shrdlu

I wouldn't dream of using the passé simple, with or without circumflexes, and try to avoid subjunctives of any sort in that language.

Clemens

Aedilis

• Aedilis

I wouldn't dream of using the passé simple, with or without circumflexes, and try to avoid subjunctives of any sort in that language.
The imperfect subjunctive certainly, but the present and past are in everyday use.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

I doubt it. I'd be surprised if there weren't multiple mistakes in that sentence.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

There's no mistake in that sentence.