Greek forum

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Salvete. I've been meaning to write this some time ago already. Would it be possible to create a forum devoted solely to the study of the Greek language on our site? Textkit has it, why can't we? Anyone with me on that?

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

I sure am - I know I'll need one very soon! Next year I'll have a to take a Greek course so god knows I'd really need such a forum. Besides it sure might come in handy for anyone interested in Classics - the questions about Greek seem to repeatedly occur in the forum.

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Assentior. (Hôc anno dimidiam partem methodi «Assimil» perlegi ideoque scio nonnullas voces græcas declinare. 8) )

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

I agree that there should be an Ancient Greek forum. It will have very much the same members. However, I am much more interested in Latin than Ancient Greek. Note that not many people will permanently write Ancient Greek on their skin, unlike the language that is the main focus of this website.

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Iohannes Aurum dixit:
Note that not many people will permanently write Ancient Greek on their skin
Fortunately. :banana:

If we lack tattoo requests, we may consider a Vertical Sanskrit forum.

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

Then why not use Texkit for Latin as well?

It would be far more convenient to have it here.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I'd be happy to discuss Greek as well as Latin.
Having a Greek font option on the toolbar would help us get started.

It may prove difficult having meaningful dialogue if we cannot agree at the outset on where Ancient Greek ends and Modern Greek begins. If we don't agree on some sort of clearly defined boundary, I think there is potential for a fearful amount of wrangling over what is "correct" and what isn't.

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

[offtopic]
By the way, I have devised a couple of AutoHotkey utilities for typing polytonic Greek.
[/offtopic]

Nooj

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Aurifex dixit:
It may prove difficult having meaningful dialogue if we cannot agree at the outset on where Ancient Greek ends and Modern Greek begins. If we don't agree on some sort of clearly defined boundary, I think there is potential for a fearful amount of wrangling over what is "correct" and what isn't.
Clearly, the Classical dialects are ancient. I'd argue that Hellenistic and Koine Greek are ancient enough for our purposes and much of the traffic will inevitably head towards that direction anyway. Byzantine Greek very often shows an Atticising tendency. If we allow questions about Medieval Latin, shouldn't we allow Byzantine Greek?

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

If the Greek Forum were to be formed, it should state that it does not do Modern Greek (as in post-Greek independence from the Ottomans).

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I’m afraid there are less experts in Modern Greek among as than in Ancient Greek. :banana: (Definitively it’s an all-purpose smiley.)

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

The idea is good.

Our main concern, however, is that Latin D currently does not have any staff members capable of moderating a Greek forum.

Schatzl

My idea is start a thread asking if anyone on the forum in general speaks Greek, then if there are enough people that do, ask them if they want to start this second forum and go from there.

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

As I understood that, a Greek section or subforum was suggested rather than a
quite different forum with different registration. ​ Are you planning to take
up Greek, too?

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

It seems that everybody plans to take up Greek, but the actual doing it... :p

Anyway, the Greek part of the Text-Kit is so vast that it will surely takes us a lot of time to get in that aspect at least nearly to their level. It feels like recreating the Wikipedia all over again.
But it's certainly a pleasant idea to have a Greek (mainly Attic-directed, if possible) forum in here.

Arca Defectionis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Greek is so hard! It took me a month to learn the accent rules and I still can't remember whether to put εἰ and ἄν in all the different conditionals. I'd love to participate, but I'm just nowhere near fluent. Judging from the posts here, I wonder if this isn't the case for many (or rather, that they aren't taking it).

Of course, people taking a formal Greek class might have different experiences; I've just been chipping away at the Hansen textbook on my own, with limited success.