Greek: instrumental dative; apposition; ellipsis of verb

Kuba26

non sum dignus
ο μεν Ομηρος τας ανθρωπων ψυχας τεχνη, δωρω των θεων, πεπαιδευκεν, ο δε αδελφος εργοις.
(Pardon me not using the iota-subscript on the datives τεχνη and δωρω.)

Hansen and Quinn* cite this sentence as an example of an instrumental dative, apposition and ellipsis of verb.

I presume the literal translation is "On the one hand, Homer has taught the souls of man with art, with a gift of the god, on the other hand, the brother with works."

I have two niggles with this sentence. Firstly, I presume the writer means "the brother [has taught the souls of man] with works", but that would not just be an ellipsis of a verb - have I made an error in the translation? Secondly, I am not quite clear on the apposition here - could someone point it out?

* Hansen. H., Quinn. G. (1992) Greek - An Intensive Course p. 77

Nooj

Civis Illustris
so these are invented sentences?

homer educated mortal souls/hearts ('character' even) with his art, a gift from the gods, whereas his brother did so with deeds.

the apposition is with the dative τέχνῃ and δώρῳ. that is to say 'his art, which is a gift from the gods'.

the ellipsis is the verb, as it doesn't need to be repeated. an object could also be considered to have been ellided, but that's so standard a practice in greek, that it doesn't even bear mention.