Greek verbs tester

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

This has been a bit useful to me, but now I'd rather need one the other way around (i.e. where I would not have to recognize forms, but give them), and if possible with a little more verbs than five. I have searched on Google but not found. Does anyone happen to know of something of the kind - if indeed it can be found somewhere?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I know Perseus, it isn't exactly what I'm after - I'm after something which would ask me for such verb in such tense in such mood in such voice in such person and then tell me if my answer is correct, doing this for various verbs - but thank you still.

limetrees

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

I know Perseus, it isn't exactly what I'm after - I'm after something which would ask me for such verb in such tense in such mood in such voice in such person and then tell me if my answer is correct, doing this for various verbs - but thank you still.
I think oups' idea (or well it's what I took from it) is that you pick a verb randomly from your dictionary (agomai), then pick a random form - aorist imperative 2nd person; you could have a spinning top for this or whatnot, so that you don't always tend toward the same forms - then put in to perseus what you think is the right form, and it will tell you if you are right.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Yes, but the problem is that perseus doesn't have all forms.

limetrees

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

That's surprising!
That does limit its usefulness alright.
Is it missing many of them?
Is this because it only has what forms happen to be cited in the actual dictionaries it uses or how does it come about / how does it choose what it has and doesn't have?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I don't know exactly what portion of them is missing, I am not sure exactly how it works, but I think it only has forms attested in some sample of literature. Same for Latin. It isn't because you don't find a form on it that the form isn't technically right or doesn't exist somewhere.

limetrees

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Ah. I foolishly assumed that it had the citations and a databank of the declined/conjugated forms.
Now there's a project for one of the computer types on here.

limetrees

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Well, it wouldn't have ALL the forms, I guess, only whatever ones it happens to have in its corpus.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

The vocabulary of its text corpus. Is it not enough?
I think she wants to be able to practise her ability to apply the principles of verb formation by coming up with the right verb form on demand. It's not an unreasonable desire. It's the quickest and surest route, in my experience, to the very worthwhile goal of being able to quickly recognise any of the actually attested forms when you see them in Greek texts. It also saves you from having to rely on those sorts of books that list all the forms of the Greek verb alphabetically - books which proper assimilation of the principles of verb formation should largely eliminate the need for in the first place.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Since apparently what I'm after doesn't exist, I was wondering if someone who knows Greek well would be ok to "play Greek verbs" with me here from time to time. Like you give me a verb, or a few verbs, and the tense, mode, etc. you want me to put it/them in, then I post my answer (and I promise not to cheat), and you correct.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

I'd volunteer to help, but I doubt that I have a good enough grasp of it to reliably correct you. My Greek is very fuzzy at this point.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Since apparently what I'm after doesn't exist, I was wondering if someone who knows Greek well would be ok to "play Greek verbs" with me here from time to time. Like you give me a verb, or a few verbs, and the tense, mode, etc. you want me to put it/them in, then I post my answer (and I promise not to cheat), and you correct.
You really need a computer that can churn these out for you and check them instantly. The only problem is that half the time the computer would come up with things that didn't exist probably.
What's:
1. 3rd s. aor. opt. act. of δίδωμι?
2. gen. masc./neut. s. of perf. part. of ἵστημι?
3. pres./fut. infin. of ἔρχομαι?
4. pres. act. infin. of δίδωμι?
5. 3rd pl. ind. act. aor. of ἵστημι?

6. dat. m./n. pl. of pres./fut. pple. of ἔρχομαι?
7. 2nd pl. imper. of intrans. aor. of ἵστημι?
8. 2nd pl. subj. of intrans. aor. of ἵστημι?
9. 3rd pl. impf. act. of τίθημι?
10. 1st s. pres. subj. of ἔρχομαι?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

1. δοσαιη
2. ἐστηκοτι
3. ἐρχεσθαι
4. διδοναι
5. ἐστασαν

Or do you mean that other verb ὶεναι with pres./fut. infin. of ἔρχομαι? I've forgotten a bit what they said about that.

6. ὶουσι(ν)
7. 8. oh damn I don't know, never memorized it.
9. ἐτιϑησαν (or εσαν?)
10. ἐρχωμαι

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

1. δοσαιη
2. ἐστηκοτι
3. ἐρχεσθαι
4. διδοναι
5. ἐστασαν
1. δοίη
2. ἑστῶτος
3. Correct but ἰέναι normally in Attic
5. ἔστησαν (you've given an Epic/Doric form)

6. ὶουσι(ν)
7. 8. oh damn I don't know, never memorized it.
9. ἐτιϑησαν (or εσαν?)
10. ἐρχωμαι
9. ἐτιϑησαν (or εσαν?) Yes
10. ἴω

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I don't know why I thought you'd said dative for the second. But apparently I'd have gotten it wrong anyway. Those verbs don't have "k" in the perfect?

Are they wrong here or are there two forms possible - is it something to do with that trans./intrans. thing? I can't seem to remember having studied that ἑστῶτος kind of perfect participle.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I don't know why I thought you'd said dative for the second. But apparently I'd have gotten it wrong anyway. Those verbs don't have "k" in the perfect?

Are they wrong here or are there two forms possible? I can't seem to remember having studied that ἑστῶτος kind of perfect participle.
There are two possible forms, yes. Either would have done.

is it something to do with that trans./intrans. thing?
The perfect is always intransitive.