Greek?

Volatica Aquila

Okay, so we have this entire sited devoted to lovers of latin coming together to translate, discuss where to buy the best tanks, and explore the wonderful world of demented smilies; but what about Greek? Surely, among these lovers of the latin language and its culture there are also some lovers of Greek both modern and ancient.

Now, don't get me wrong, we do discuss it occasionally.

I propose a solution: I hereby dedicate this thread to the discussion of everything Greek, modern and ancient, language and culture related.

I shall begin: does anyone know where I can download a good greek font... and how? I've looked but I got kind of confused... this type of greek or that? then I tried downloading one and I couldn't figure out how to use it... part of this I know is just my computer illiteracy... :( :help:

Josh

Hi Volatica Aquila,

I've always used the standard fonts on the system for Greek. To be fair, I don't really know a lot of Greek, but it is another one of those languages I would love to know better. However, as far as I can tell, the normal fonts work fine for my purposes.

For example: σαρκασμός

This should appear fine in the Verdana font (this forum's font). The unfortunate thing is that you need to do one of a few things to use Greek:

1. Copy it from somewhere else.
2. Use the CharMap program.
3. Memorize and enter the character codes.

I've looked around and found some information on putting the legitimate Greek character set on your system, instead of using Greek characters in the Latin font sets:

http://www.hri.org/fonts/

Choose your operating system from there, and give it a whirl. :)

Hopefully that helps a little bit. My system does not have that capability yet, as I found out by looking at their test, so if you have any troubles maybe I can come back and try to add it to mine, and see whether that will give any more info.

Have a pleasant week.

Regards,
Josh

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Actually if you google search Greek fonts or perhaps something similar, you'll find the process used to activate the built-in Greek fonts. Unfortunately I can never get the Polytonic ones to work, so I can't use accents or breathing marks. I know so little Greek, however, that it makes little difference.

Volatica Aquila

Thank-you both. I tried google searching and found some of the information that your talking about, quemquem me facis, but I wasn't sure what was what. I finally tried just downloading a couple different ones and seeing if I could get it to work, but I couldn't figure it out.... again my computer illiteracy is expressed....

Josh: standard fonts on the system? which system and where would I find them?

again, thank you so much for the help!

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I wasn't talking about something downloaded. The thing that I was talking about is a built-in font system in Windows. It's called the language bar and by enabling different languages in it, you can adjust your font settings for Greek, Russian, Arabic, etc.

Actually, I just remembered how to do it :) Follow these instructions (based on windows xp):
start
control panel
date, time, language, and regional options
regional and language options
languages
details
add...

After that it should be pretty much self-explanatory.

Josh

Volatica Aquila dixit:
Josh: standard fonts on the system? which system and where would I find them?
Let's say you were using the Verdana font, as this forum does. If you run CharMap from the Start menu, you can select Verdana as the font and scroll down a wee bit to the Greek. When you hover over one it will give you a code. It's a bit annoying to have to copy each one, though.

I'd recommend trying what quemquem me facis mentioned, or using the steps in the link that I had in my first post. Getting the actual Greek available to you is probably the best option. :)

Regards,
Josh

Andy

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Apparently, Windows XP Pro... might be that it is the Spanish Version.

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Doesn't make much sense to me. I'm actually using XP Home, that might have something to do with it. I would think that the only difference between the English and Spanish versions would be that the explanations, etc. of things would be in Spanish but that all the actual options would be available. Maybe you can send me a screenshot of your control panel page?

Andy

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Gladly... how? I know the Print Screen command, what I don't know is how to send it through the Forum.

Josh

I also have XP Home.

If you save the screenshot in Paint or some other program, you can upload the image at a place like Imageshack.

A

Anonymous

Re: Greek Fonts

Volatica Aquila dixit:
...does anyone know where I can download a good greek font... and how? I've looked but I got kind of confused... this type of greek or that? then I tried downloading one and I couldn't figure out how to use it... part of this I know is just my computer illiteracy... :( :help:
Download the following zip file:
http://members.aol.com/AtticGreek/GreekClassical.zip

This includes the Keyman keyboard manager and a Classical Greek font.
Study the Readme file carefully, then click on the GreekClassical program to install the keyboard manager and font.

When you are done, you will have a new icon on your toolbar, which will allow you to activate/deactivate the font of your choice(you will have only one font initially).

Now you have an aesthetically pleasing Classical Greek font, with all diacritical marks available, including iota subscript, diaresis, and vowel length marking(see examples, below. You even get digamma, in case you should need it :)) I think size 18 font looks good, if a little big, but you can use any size you find readable.

Note: To use this font in Word, you must select the Palatino Linotype font style.

Hope this helps.
Good luck,
frankathl

Examples(size 18 font):
αβγδεζηθικλμνξοπρστυφχψω
οὗτος
τῑμῇ
ῥήτωρ
ἄϊδρις

Delichon

If you have it, the entire greek alphabet is on Microsoft Equation Editor