Greeting Friends

Discipulus Probus

The word I learned for "friend" is Amicus. Which, I think, would make Amici the plural? But in a recent letter regarding Latin, the teacher said "Salve Amici". Can someone explain this, and offer a few examples of ways to greet people in the singular and plural? I already know "Salvete Omnes".

Gratias!

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

Discipulus Probus dixit:
Can someone explain this?
Your teacher probably originally had salvē, amīce 'hail, o friend!' but then realized (s)he was addressing multiple people. (S)he then pluralized the noun, but forgot to make the verb agree (as others have mentioned, it should be salvēte amīcī).

You may also use the adjective salvus + the copula or 'being verb' in the subjunctive mode, thus:
Salvus sīs, sodālis. 'May you be well, o comrade.' (make sure that the adj. is fem. when addressing a female, salva sīs). You could also be more theatrical and say, dī tē/vōs salvent 'may the gods keep you safe!', which is often used as a deprecatory formula or a type of thank-you. Sort of like (Southern) English, 'Well, (God) bless your heart/soul!'

You could also say heus!, which is like 'ho, there!'. Or quid novī, frāter/soror? 'What's new, brother/sister?' (lit. 'what [is] of a new [thing]?')