Gregory the Great: Qui caelestis vitae dulcedinem...

jaffa

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Can anyone help with Gregory the Great?

Qui caelestis vitae dulcedinem, in quantum possibilitas admittit perfecte cognoverit, ea quae in terris amaverat libenter cuncta derelinquit.

Sa Seba

Consularis

• Consularis

Which part exactly do you need to have translated?
Just making sure that people translating will know what exactly is beeing requested. ;)

jaffa

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Gregory the Great

I need help translating all of it really. In particular I can't work out where dulcedinem comes from. Also possibilitas and which verb it goes with. Trying to learn my relative pronouns at the moment.

Jordana

dulcedinem is in accusative - sweetness or charm
possibilitas is in accusative too (because it goes with 'in')

Anyway, here's my attempt:
He who has so much as learned completely [and] received the sweetness of the heavenly life in [its] possibilities, all that which he had loved on earth he leaves gladly behind.

Boy, am I proud of myself!

Let me know if you find mistakes :)

Sa Seba

Consularis

• Consularis

That's actually a pretty advanced text you got there, jaffa. Do you study latin in university or on your own?

jaffa

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

That's absolutely fantastic. Thank you, I have been wrestling with this all week and getting nowhere. My problem is that I find it difficult to know which words go with what part of the sentence, given the word order of the Latin language. For example how do you know which verb to put with the relative "qui" at the beginning? Is it always the verb that immediately follows?
Am I right in thinking that "cognoverit" is future perfect tense meaning "he will have understood"?
I have started a Latin course and have an excellent teacher but am also trying to learn things on my own as well.

Kaya

Yes, 'cognoverit' means 'you will have understood' :)

So you have just started learning Latin and you are already moving on to 'real' Latin texts?
From my memory, moving from regular/modern Latin to original Latin was like hitting a brick wall.
Word order is a terribly difficult issue for an english speaker to master. It is fixed in English which makes us quite inflexible :(

jaffa

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Yes the main problem I am having is with the word order. I just can't see sometimes how you can tell which words go together. But I am moving on quite quickly with my verbs and I think I have mastered the relative pronouns.