Help with baptism record for genealogy

Julius Collins

Greetings,
We need some help confirming the names contained in a baptism record for Ireland dated 1796. I have spent an hour online reading about Latin name rules and decided to ask an expert since what I think are the correct rules do not seem to match what I see in the record.

http://www.from-ireland.net/irish-names/latin-names-in-english/

The transcription on the archive site, churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie, lists the names as John Collins and Cathe Carthy the parents of Thomas Collins. The explanation paper says the word filias should be present between the names of the father and son, but I do not see it. My thought is that the child being baptized is named Thomas Jonathan Collins, but I assume I am wrong about this.

I have included a picture of the majority of the page, because I am not sure where the record for this family begins and ends.

This is important to us because we have spent over 20 years trying to find the family of our 3 x great-grandfather John Collins whom we think was born 4 Sep 1796. This baptism record is for the 6th, so this is our best lead so far.

Thank you for your help

Julius

Attachments

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Looking at the other entries, I think the first word might refer to the townland in which the family were living. The name looks like Thomas, right enough, but the father's name is in the genitive case (Joannis) and it looks like the mother's is too. The next two names are the sponsors. The only part of the information you have that I disagree with is the mother's name; I think that's an abbreviation for Catherine with a genitive ending attached.

Wait and see what someone else says before calling in the calligraphers. :)