Homeric texbooks

Claudilla

I've finished 2nd year Greek and 3rd year my uni usually offers Homer, but not this year (woe) So I'd like to do it on my own, any suggestions for a textbook? (I did 1st year with 2 vol. Athenaze, a great text!)

Etaoin Shrdlu

μεσσηγυδορποχέστης
I'm not sure what you mean by textbook. Stanford's edition of the Odyssey with notes is still apparently the standard text for students, according to the internet. There was no equivalent in my day for the Iliad, and I'm not sure whether there's one now, although Leaf's ancient edition might be used.

Someone I can't remember said that everyone was an Iliad or an Odyssey person. Which are you?

Claudilla

Sorry, I meant a reader for those beginning, with Homeric grammar etc,

I'm an Iliad person from childhood and you?

Aurifex

Aedilis
Staff member
The Stanford edition of the Odyssey Etaoin mentions, and the Field and Bayleaf (all right, Leaf and Bayfield) edition of the Iliad contain excellent introductions to Homeric Greek.

I don't have any Homeric readers I can recommend off the top of my head, and I don't remember ever studying one myself; I just launched straight into the works themselves, and didn't rest until I had written perlegi in the margins of their final pages.

Here they are, still going strong:
IMG_0471.JPG

Ol' Thomas Seymour's got a couple good works; his Iliad books i-vi is a nice meaty thing (weighs 10 pounds, by gum). Should have everything you need to get started (like the Stanford texts, which are probably cheaper).

Etaoin Shrdlu dixit:
Someone I can't remember said that everyone was an Iliad or an Odyssey person. Which are you?
An Argonautica man.