Homework: Deponent translations

sum

Hello everybody. I need some help with this latin translation exercises :) . I would apprectiate hints, suggestions, translations, etc... We are studying semi-deponent verbs. Thanks!!!

1) Quintus Apolloni confisus Romam inire ausus est.

Quintus, having trusted in Apollo, dared enter in Rome.

2) Quintus, scriba aerarii factus,gavisus est.

Quintus, having been made secretary of treasury, was happy.

3) cotidie ad aerarium festinare solebat ubi officia dilgenter perficiebat.

Everyday he was accostumed to hurry (or would) hurry to the treasury where he would diligently carry out his job.

4) Quintus, a senatore contemptus, iratus fiebat.

Quintus, having been disdained by a senator, was angry.

5)sed talia convicia (insults) ferre solitus non diu vexatus est.

(Since) he was accostumed to such insults he was not annoyed for a long time.

6) nam verba hominis tam arrogantis non magni aestimavit.

The man's arrogant words were not (greatly) valued.

(I didn't reallys undestand the last one).

Thank you!!!!

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Gavisus is from gaudeo, and though "be happy" is a somewhat acceptable translation, there are better ones.

Fiebat is from fio, which is "I become" or "I am made." It is not a form of esse.

The last one is tricky, especially because of the repeated genitives with different uses. Aestimo is an interesting verb; it takes an accusative direct object for what is being estimated, thought to be something, valued, etc. and then a genitive for what it is being thought to be. Example that I think is correct:
Hoc aestimo decem denariorum.
I value this at 10 denarii (a common Roman currency).

For a hint on this just because it's so odd: Arrogantis modifies hominis. Not entirely sure why this is even on this assignment (I assume this is a homework assignment) as there are no deponents involved as far as I can see.

Other than that those look pretty good. Some minor errors in your English ("enter in Rome", for instance) but no real errors in the translations that I can see. Looks like you've got participles, even with deponents, down.

This gives me a good place to put my new motto: Secutus ducit. It's incredibly compact; I like it a lot.

sum

QMF dixit:
Gavisus is from gaudeo, and though "be happy" is a somewhat acceptable translation, there are better ones.

Fiebat is from fio, which is "I become" or "I am made." It is not a form of esse.

The last one is tricky, especially because of the repeated genitives with different uses. Aestimo is an interesting verb; it takes an accusative direct object for what is being estimated, thought to be something, valued, etc. and then a genitive for what it is being thought to be. Example that I think is correct:
Hoc aestimo decem denariorum.
I value this at 10 denarii (a common Roman currency).

For a hint on this just because it's so odd: Arrogantis modifies hominis. Not entirely sure why this is even on this assignment (I assume this is a homework assignment) as there are no deponents involved as far as I can see.

Other than that those look pretty good. Some minor errors in your English ("enter in Rome", for instance) but no real errors in the translations that I can see. Looks like you've got participles, even with deponents, down.

This gives me a good place to put my new motto: Secutus ducit. It's incredibly compact; I like it a lot.
That was fast :shock: Thank you very much.

-----

So the last one would translate to something like The words of the (very=tam) arrogant man were not (greatly) appreciated.

-----

What does "Secutus Ducit" mean?

-----

Thanks again

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Yeah that sounds about right. You had the sentiment of the sentence down previously (that is, if you were reading a text and had read that sentence you wouldn't have had to stop and say "what the?" but could have moved on with a rough knowledge of what it meant).

You tell me what secutus ducit means. (The way this fits into this thread is that secutus is a deponent past participle). Hint: secutus is from sequor.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

You have forgotten to translate the nam.

I would have translated tam here as such, ie such an arrogant man...

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Bah, missed that, good catch Cinefactus.

spinanus

I presume you're aware of this Sum, but I thought I'd pointit out in case: verba is not the subject of your last sentence-it's some undefined man or woman. verba is neuter accusative of verbum - i. so he didn't value ... would be a more accurate translation.