Homework: Story of Penelope: Ulixes, navi et sociis amissis

A

Anonymous

I tried to translate this but it didnt make much sense:

Ulixes, navi et sociis amissis, corpore, vulneribus confecto, in patriam pervenerat. Ad finem itineris sed non laborum perpetuorum venerat. Et cives et hostes crediderunt Ulixem non iam vivum esse.
Primes qui Ulixem vidit sed non cognovit erat pastor cuius nomen erat Eumaeus. Ab Eumaeo Ulixes non pauca de uxore Penelope et filio Telema cho audivit. Telemachus ab insula tum aberat, quod Penelope eum trans mare ad ultima regina civitatesque Graeciae miserat, in quibus locis itinera faciebat et Ulixem petebat. Per multos annos nullam famam de Ulixis adducti, de montibus Ithacae et e finitimis insulis convenerat et reginam in matrimonium petebant.Cives hos hostes e finibus Ithacae sine auxilio ad montes redigere non poterant. Itaque Penelope, capite submisso, dixit: "Ubi vestem quam facio confecero, non iam dubitabo in matrimonium dari." Itaque exspectaverunt. Sed consilium Penelopae fuit tempus trahere. Itaque nocte retexebat vestam quam multa diligentia texuerat. Post tres annos homines consilium Penelopae cognoverunt, et penelope vestem conficere coacta est. Hoc tempore Ulixes navi ad insulam Ithacam transportatus est. Eodem tempore telemachus, a Minerva monitus, in patriam properavit. Ibi ad mare ab Ulixe visus atque cognitus est. Ulixes Telemachum ad oppidum antecedere iussit. Ab Ulixe monitus, Telemachus neque matri neque aliis de patre nuntiavit.

If you could translate this it would be much appreciated!

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I'm just going to do a little of it for now, it's a bit of a long passage:
Ulysses, on a ship and with the allies lost, his body consumed by wounds, had fully come to the fatherland. He had come to the end of the journey but not of the perpetual labors. Both the citizens and the enemies believed Ulysses to not be alive [anymore].

As you may guess, the things in brackets are where I turn away from the exact words of the text in order to properly bring what the writer is trying to say into English.

A

Anonymous

thanks a bunch man. that would be awesome if you could try and help do the rest (with the help of some other people if they decide to help.)

PandaSpoon

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Primes qui Ulixem vidit sed non cognovit erat pastor cuius nomen erat Eumaeus.

The chief who saw but did not recognize Ulysses was a shepherd whose name was Eumaeus.

In the next sentence, what does "cho" mean???????
that little word threw me off, and irritated me greatly.

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I'm assuming it's a typo and that it should be Telemacho.
Lethe, you're almost not an enthusiast anymore :D

Another typo: ultima regina must be ultima regna, because of the ad in front.

A

Anonymous

yeah. sorry about those typos. I typed it in a hurry, obviously.

PandaSpoon

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Ab Eumaeo Ulixes non pauca de uxore Penelope et filio Telema cho audivit. Telemachus ab insula tum aberat, quod Penelope eum trans mare ad ultima regna civitatesque Graeciae miserat, in quibus locis itinera faciebat et Ulixem petebat.

Ulysses did not hear much from Eumaeus about his wife Penelope and his son Telemachus. Telemachus was at the time absent from the island, because Penelope sent him towards the greatest kingdoms and communities of Greece, in the places where he made his journey and reached for Ulysses.

That was as good as I can do for now.

PandaSpoon

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

When you post in the forum, please make an effort to spell correctly. One misspelled word can throw the whole sentence off.

And YAY i am a latin forum addict!

woot woot.

PLus, is this your homework or something? You should help us with this lol.

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

By the way: is it remotely possible that "aberat" was actually "abierat"? Because that is a significant change in meaning if it was...the current rendering by Lethe of "tum" as "at the time" is logical, but I have not ever seen it used in that fashion.

:applause: on Addicthood Lethe.

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

1. I don't think we've got that first sentence quite right yet. I don't think navi can mean "on a ship". I think it must be ablative, as are sociis, amissis, corpore, vulneribus and confecto. The string of ablatives describe Ulysses:

Ulysses, his ship and shipmates lost, his body composed of wounds, had made it to the fatherland.

2. I think the next couple of sentences are OK, except that "to not be alive" is here a split infinitive. Melding:

Ulysses, his ship and shipmates lost, his body composed of wounds, had made it to the fatherland. He had come to the end-- of his journey, but not of his perpetual labors. Citizens and foes alike believed now that Ulysses lived no more.

3. The next sentence seems odd. What is "primes"? Primus I could understand, or prime. Could this be a typo? Reading primus:

Ulysses, his ship and shipmates lost, his body composed of wounds, had made it to the fatherland. He had come to the end-- of his journey, but not of his perpetual labors. Citizens and foes alike believed now that Ulysses lived no more. The first who saw Ulysses, but did not recognize him, was a shepherd whose name was Eumenaeus.

Hmm. This has the feel of a school-exercise.

4. In the next sentence I think we may have another small misunderstanding. Multiple negatives are always tricky in Latin. But I suspect that non pauca...audivit here means "heard not a few things"-- in other words that he heard more than a few things. I could be wrong. But proceding on that basis:

Ulysses, his ship and shipmates lost, his body composed of wounds, had made it to the fatherland. He had come to the end-- of his journey, but not of his perpetual labors. Citizens and foes alike believed now that Ulysses lived no more. The first who saw Ulysses, but did not recognize him, was a shepherd whose name was Eumenaeus. Ulysses heard not a little from Eumenaus concerning his wife, Penelope, and his son, Telemachus. Telemachus was then absent from the isle, because Penelope had sent him...

5. At this point we have another small problem: regina. Could it be nominative for "queen", in apposition with Penelope? No that produces all kinds of problems. Looks like a neuter plural object of ad, conjoined to civitates. What would the singular be? Reginum? Not a word I know. My guess is that there's a stray i, and that the word is really regna, "kingdoms". Proceeding on that basis:

Ulysses, his ship and shipmates lost, his body composed of wounds, had made it to the fatherland. He had come to the end-- of his journey, but not of his perpetual labors. Citizens and foes alike believed now that Ulysses lived no more. The first who saw Ulysses, but did not recognize him, was a shepherd whose name was Eumenaeus. Ulysses heard not a little from Eumenaus concerning his wife, Penelope, and his son, Telemachus. Telemachus was then absent from the isle, because Penelope had sent him across the sea, to the farthest kingdoms and polities of Greece, in which places he was journeying, and searching for Ulysses. For many years...

6. More problems. De Ulixis? Ulixes is sometimes treated as of the IInd, so this could be an ablative plural. But the context would suggest that we've only one of him to deal with. Nullam famam de Ulixe or de Ulixo would make sense. But looking at the text more broadly something seems to be missing here. I'm going to leave three dots for now, guess that convenerat in the next bit is really convenerant, and forge ahead:

Ulysses, his ship and shipmates lost, his body composed of wounds, had made it to the fatherland. He had come to the end-- of his journey, but not of his perpetual labors. Citizens and foes alike believed now that Ulysses lived no more. The first who saw Ulysses, but did not recognize him, was a shepherd whose name was Eumenaeus. Ulysses heard not a little from Eumenaus concerning his wife, Penelope, and his son, Telemachus. Telemachus was then absent from the isle, because Penelope had sent him across the sea, to the farthest kingdoms and cities of Greece, in which places he was journeying, and searching for Ulysses. For many years no rumor...from the mountains of Ithaca and from the neighboring isles... they came, and sought in matrimony the queen...

7. Now I hope, nexteyenate, that we've demonstrated our willingness, and to some extent our ablility, to be of help here. Before we go further, can we get you to come back with

a. A corrected Latin text? and
b. An explanation of what we're translating here. If this is a school exercise, it will probably be of much more help if we try to figure out what is that's giving you trouble, and explain things, rather than just doing the translation for you. If it's something else, please let us know that, too.

Talk to us, and we'll get 'er done.

PandaSpoon

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

It does seem like a school exercise with the repeated words (petebat).

Im taking this to school with me and see if i can come up with a rough translation.