How did you find the Latin Forum?

Ater Gladius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I found this by GOOGLE!! Well, the answer is unsurprising, but is that because of the superbly well-chosen name of this forum, or because our moderators have paid Google?

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

We are of course not the Wikimedia Foundation, who has a relationship with Google (which is why Wikipedia links are usually the top result).

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

I was looking for a bunch of awesome Latin geeks like you guys to hang out with, since it'd taken me all of a week to fall in love with this amazing language. :) Facebook was HOPELESS, offering me a variety of clubs related to Latin music, Latin cuisine, and Latin members of the opposite sex (the latter were probably the most prevalent...) ;)
But there was not a single club devoted to pulchrae linguae Latinae aeternae, as the prof on my Latin DVD puts it. :)
(Or should that take ablative? Hmm, not sure...but continuing...)

...I sadly concluded that our culture had been conquered by barbarians without us even noticing, and resolved to drag myself away to learn Latin in a little corner somewhere, but before I did so, thought I'd run a Google search as well. You know, just for the heck of it.
...I'm glad I did. :D

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I was looking for a bunch of awesome Latin geeks like you guys to hang out with, since it'd taken me all of a week to fall in love with this amazing language. :) Facebook was HOPELESS, offering me a variety of clubs related to Latin music, Latin cuisine, and Latin members of the opposite sex (the latter were probably the most prevalent...) ;)
But there was not a single club devoted to pulchrae linguae Latinae aeternae, as the prof on my Latin DVD puts it. :)
(Or should that take ablative? Hmm, not sure...but continuing...)

...I sadly concluded that our culture had been conquered by barbarians without us even noticing, and resolved to drag myself away to learn Latin in a little corner somewhere, but before I did so, thought I'd run a Google search as well. You know, just for the heck of it.
...I'm glad I did. :D
But there are many on Facebook.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Not that I could find!! Where are they?
Well, in Facebook! If am not sure about the rules of the forum and I don't wanna read now, so I send you the links via PM if you want.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Yes, that would be great :) I ran several searches but came up empty-handed!!

Discens Discipulus

• Patronus

I found it on Google, it's the first result if you search for "Latin forum". :)

Tomer

Ac ne longum sit et ut verum dicam: puellas Romanas poposci, at pro lingua Latina remansi.;)

Serenus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Godmy on his little Internet corner mentioned this forum in a discussion we were having on the vowel length of the perfect subjunctive suffixes (-eris, -erimus, -eritis). Specifically, he linked to this thread. That's how I got to know the forum existed. I asked him things about the forum and he pretty much ended up recommending it to me.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Godmy on his little Internet corner mentioned this forum in a discussion we were having on the vowel length of the perfect subjunctive suffixes (-eris, -erimus, -eritis). Specifically, he linked to this thread. That's how I got to know the forum existed. I asked him things about the forum and he pretty much ended up recommending it to me.
Fascinating thread, actually (and it addressed some questions I'd had in the back of my mind for a while.) Thanks for linking.

Where is Godmy's corner of the internet? :)

Serenus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Where is Godmy's corner of the internet? :)
I think it'd be against the forum's rules to tell you publicly (it's a chat, somewhat in competition with this forum, I guess?), so I'll send you a PM with the answer.

EDIT: Wait, this forum doesn't have a PM function at all? What a predicament...

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

I think it has been mentioned here already by somebody else (Quasus possibly, I also think I've seen Pixie there few times a year ago). There is a quite little IRC Latin-oriented chat, on irc.freenode.net , the channel is ##latin (Here we speak mostly English) <- you connect there either with an IRC client (e.g. mIRC) by setting this address into it or via some web interfaces (which are not that great).

It all in all doesn't compete with the forum in any way, since the community is quite small, mostly silent (they probably study all the time : P). Also we refuse to do any translations and just consult time to time some stuff with the beginners. I also quite regularly send the people from there to here :)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

EDIT: Wait, this forum doesn't have a PM function at all? What a predicament...
There is one, but you can't start a conversation until you've got more than 25 posts.

Philip Newton

I was looking for a Latin forum on Google, and this was the top hit for "Latin forum".

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

I saw a Twitter quote in questionable Latin attributed to Marcus Aurelius, and wondered where it had come from. I was on my way to ask a more general linguistic forum if they had any ideas, but decided for some reason to see if there was a dedicated Latin forum, despite generally being discouraged from searching by the fact that most hits tend to have to do with dance or South America. PP immediately pointed out the Greek original that lay beneath, tactfully not adding 'you plonker'; it was never established who turned it into bad Latin, and for what purpose, but as I've seen far stranger things since I don't wonder about it much any more.