How did you find the Latin Forum?

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

From a friend, a newsgroup, another forum, Google?

It has just occured to me that in almost five years, I have no idea how most of you have made it into this great blue space :D

Share!

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

I Googled "Latin Forum", and found this appropriately named site in search of homework help. Now, I stick around for practice (though I've been slacking lately).

Decimvs

Aedilis

• Aedilis

Before I was able to take University-level Latin courses I would dabble in it with Wheelock's Latin and the corresponding workbook. But, I needed clarification on certain points, and that led me to search the Internet for "Latin Forum", and here I am. :)

Reactions: J.M

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

I read the Wikipedia article Recent Latin [sic] and in an earlier edition, there was a link to the Latin Forum.

JaimeB

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

There are two versions of how I found it: One is literal; the other, mythical. Even so, both are profoundly true.

The literal one: Id inveni gugulando.

The mythical one: Cecidit de caelo et tutudit me in capite.

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

Iohannes Aurum dixit:
I read the Wikipedia article Recent Latin [sic] and in an earlier edition, there was a link to the Latin Forum.
They do not have any external links there anymore :( What changed?

JaimeB dixit:
The mythical one: Cecidit de caelo et tutudit me in capite.
:hysteric:

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Akela dixit:
Iohannes Aurum dixit:
They do not have any external links there anymore :( What changed?
The page was replaced with more useless information and the use of Latin in popular culture.

JaimeB

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Beyla

lol, I simply also googled "Latin forum"

but the "why" is a little longer (not much tough, its not an interesting story, but I'll tell it nevertheless!)

After my teacher advised me to not join VTO Latin just after a introduction lesson for everyone. ("advising to not do something" is adults language for: NO!)
I was very sad, of course, but I remembered he said that "When you look up the internet for it, Latin isn't a dead language at all!" I thought "hell yea! Gotta good idea! I simply google a Latin forum and... well... practice my Latin"
But, as usual, I forgot.
A day or two later my best friend emailed me, with two Latin words.
Suddenly I felt a irresistible urge to answer in Latin, which I couldn't.
So I decided to search for a Latin Forum, and here I am! :D

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Beyla dixit:
After my teacher advised me to not join VTO Latin just after a introduction lesson for everyone.
Our teachers advised us to do biology rather than geology, because otherwise we wouldn't score high enough marks to qualify for university entry. Naturally I took that as a challenge ;) The top three places in our year in science went to geology students.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

I don't remember, to be honest. Probably just found it on Google like the others...

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

Brunhilda dixit:
Accidental Google search. :D
What does accidental mean? I remember, you said that you had probably never joined a forum before this one, so I cannot resist asking :D

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

Akela dixit:
Brunhilda dixit:
Accidental Google search. :D
What does accidental mean? I remember, you said that you had probably never joined a forum before this one, so I cannot resist asking :D
I think I was searching something Latin-related - and I stumbled on this forum! :D Of course it is dubious whether it is "accidental" - but I'm happy to be here.

Portia

I simply Googled "Latin forum" and this was pretty much the only one I came up with. I think there may have been one other Latin forum on the first page (for some reason I rarely click past the first page in a Google search...), but it didn't look as good as this one.

The reason why I was googling for a Latin forum, is because on a different forum (in English) that I belonged to, I met a non-native speaker of English who had improved her English by belonging to that forum. This isn't quite the same thing since you guys don't speak solely Latin here, but it's close (especially if I spend more time in the "Speak Latin" section).

Decimus Canus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Bumped into @LatinDiscussion on Twitter from following, I think, @rogueclassicist.

deudeditus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I originally stalked the textkit forums, but it became less fun after my favorite textkitten, Episcopus, left and took his flaming with him. So I searched for "latin forum" and found this place. There's a different feel here. Also, we have the dancing banana :banana: , which really seals the deal.

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

Decimus Canus dixit:
Bumped into @LatinDiscussion on Twitter from following, I think, @rogueclassicist.
So my tweeting was not in vain. I am pleased to hear that :banana:

deudeditus dixit:
I originally stalked the textkit forums, but it became less fun after my favorite textkitten, Episcopus, left and took his flaming with him.
I am not familiar with that story...

deudeditus dixit:
Also, we have the dancing banana, which really seals the deal.
Except that you joined before the banana graced us with its presence :p
How am I doing in the role of a detective? :shifty:

Schatzl

I was googling Latin resources when I decided to start learning and this site came up multiple times, so I decided to click on it and here I am.