HTTPS

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

It would be great if this website were upgraded to HTTPS.

It's much more secure and practically every single major website already uses HTTPS.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Indeed, http is insecure.

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

While I agree, isn't this more of a XenForo thing and less LatinD specifically, or are there ways to get at the underlying HTML?

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

Yeah, I got robbed the other day when viewing this website on my smartphone.
A wise guy, eh? Well, maybe I oughtta pop you in the chops, buster, 'n then we'd see what's what.
Ga'head, put up yer dooks!
:swearing:

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

While I agree, isn't this more of a XenForo thing and less LatinD specifically, or are there ways to get at the underlying HTML?

I would think it to be a XenForo thing (perhaps it defaulted to HTTP?). However, the XenForo community site itself (using XenForo of course) is HTTPS, so there has to be a way to change it.

R. Seltza

Magnus Oculus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Hey guys, I know that I'm late to the discussion, but if you're using Firefox, there's an add-on you can use called HTTPS Everywhere.
It adds the extra layer of encryption & practically forces sites to use HTTPS.

Address Bar.JPG

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Dang, how? That's cool.

R. Seltza

Magnus Oculus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

In Firefox (or Chrome, Opera, & maybe some other browsers), just go to your favorite search engine & type in "HTTPS Everywhere addon".
It should give you a link to the relevant web store to add it to your browser for free.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

It doesn't?

R. Seltza

Magnus Oculus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Hey guys, I know that I'm late to the discussion, but if you're using Firefox, there's an add-on you can use called HTTPS Everywhere.
It adds the extra layer of encryption & practically forces sites to use HTTPS.
No no no no noo.... It does not.
The add-on by itself is not an all-in-one solution & it's not the only thing I do to protect myself from eavesdropping, MITM attacks, & other nefarious issues.

It's not as good as actually having a website that already has HTTPS installed on its server. It only provides partial protection.

R. Seltza

Magnus Oculus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Sorry buddy. It does not provide any protection. Period.
Really? I thought it at least offered partial protection.

I always like learning, especially about cyber issues. Care to enlighten me as to why it provides no protection whatsoever?

D

Deleted member 13757

Really? I thought it at least offered partial protection.
I always like learning, especially about cyber issues. Care to enlighten me as to why it provides no protection whatsoever?
HTTPS Anywhere or similar add-ons help you identify if a website pulls in a non secure resource. They do not protect the traffic at all.

For example:

A secure website (A) https://secure.com plays a video from a non secure source (B) http://somewhere.com. The traffic between you and site (A) is protected while the traffic between you and site (B) from which the video is being streamed is not, even though you are viewing that video on site (A). Add-ons like that alert you when a scenario like this happens, but they don't actually protect your traffic.