Humanitas

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris
Does humanitas Romana make sense? How would you translate this?

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
It would mean something like the civilized character of the Romans.

You probably meant "Roman civilization" but humanitas, as far as I know, is civilization as a quality (the fact of being civilized) rather than in the sense that encompasses the whole culture, customs etc. of a certain civilized people.

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris
I was looking for a way to translating Roman culture all right... I guess it's right, then. Would you say so otherwise?

But now I'm curious: how would you say civilization, as in Roman civilization?

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
There is no Latin word that corresponds exactly to "culture" in the way we often mean it (i.e. as the set of customs and way of living of a particular people). The closest I can think of would be something like mores Romani or mores cultusque Romanus.

I don't know about "civilization".

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris
What do you make of humanitas Romana? (How would you translate it?)
Mores Romani sounds interesting. For some reason my mind thinks of this with a genitive... Does it make sense? (Mores Romanorum.)

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
What do you make of humanitas Romana? (How would you translate it?)
Translation would depend on context. Basically it would usually mean:
something like the civilized character of the Romans.
Mores Romani sounds interesting. For some reason my mind thinks of this with a genitive... Does it make sense? (Mores Romanorum.)
They both makes sense. Roman customs vs. the customs of the Romans...

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris
Humanitas as (generally) civilized character, then.

Would you infer something different from humanitas Romana to humanitas Graeca, or humanitas Gallica? :think:
(I mean, yes, of course, but would humanitas mean something different accordingly? :crazy: )

Obviously too, I think, I despise the obvious choice, the litteral one: humanitas as simply 'humanity'... :hide:

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Would you infer something different from humanitas Romana to humanitas Graeca, or humanitas Gallica? :think:
(I mean, yes, of course, but would humanitas mean something different accordingly? :crazy: )
No. When I say the translation could differ depending on context, I mean larger context, not just switching Romana for the name of another people.

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris
Sometimes I feel patronized, but ok.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
I'm sorry. Perhaps I misunderstood your question?

meisenimverbis

Civis Illustris
Not that I don't deserve it, to tell the truth...

I mean, no, you are right. No hard feelings.