Homework I am able to slay a lion

BrianBerbati

Hello, this is Brian. I created four Latin sentences with what I could do with the strength of a gladiator. I want to make sure that I'm using the correct noun cases and the Latin words I used have a meaning close enough to my English translations. Also, since inimicos is plural and the direct object of the sentence, am I correct in using cunctos as an adjective to inimicos? I believe they match in gender, number, and case.

Thanks for the help,

Brian

Possum occidere leonem.
I am able to slay a lion.

Possum conciliare certamen.
I am able to win a race.

Possum vincere cunctos inimicos.
I am able to defeat all enemies.

Possum tegere Romam.
I am able to defend Rome.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

All your sentences are grammatically correct.

The only issues are in the word choice. Conciliare does not mean to win a contest. It can mean to win someone over or to obtain something. Also certamen is any contest, not especially a race.

BrianBerbati

I had that suspicion with certamen since I've seen it defined as a contest yet I thought it would suffice. I did not know that conciliare specifically meant winning over someone or obtaining something, as I thought it was more generalized. Thank you for reviewing my sentences, Pacifica. I appreciate your help.

Respectfully,

Brian

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I had that suspicion with certamen since I've seen it defined as a contest yet I thought it would suffice.
It could indeed suffice if used where it was clear from the contest what sort of competition was meant.