grammaticissima
Staff member
Related to sapio, I assume?

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú
Yeah.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú
Epikoros, a Jewish word for one without a place in the world to come. Yeah, pretty much from the philosopher. Epicurus didn’t deserve this.

Last edited:

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
We've got that one in Czech: dát = dare; předat = per +dare .. and it means here "to give something unwillingly in a surplus [often used sarcastistically]": "Dal mi jenom dvě. Aby se nepředal!" = he gave me just two. I sincerely-hope he hadn't "overgiven" himself [that scoundrel]!" <- really difficult to render it in English :D

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
---> MnE "thane".

And the proper name "Thain". I know someone by that name.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
You know the theory that the word barbarus was formed in imitation of the incomprehensible speech of foreigners? In a similar spirit, the Arabic word for "non-Arab" is related to speaking unclearly or having a speech impediment.

Etaoin Shrdlu

μεσσηγυδορποχέστης
According to that link, it can also mean a variety of other unrelated things. I do like 'impotence of speech', though.

Glabrigausapes

Jive Turkey
---> MnE "thane".

And the proper name "Thain". I know someone by that name.
Think I've mentioned this before, but when the new Hobbit movies came out some years ago & the actor said 'son of Thrain' /θɹeɪn/, it made me gag a little. Tolkien wrote the name as 'Thráin', meaning he wanted two syllables as in ON (which he borrowed it from).

Glabrigausapes

Jive Turkey
I like the word 'poppycock' (evidently < Dutch pappe kak 'soft dung') because even though it's a euphemism, it contains the (coarse) English slang word 'cock'.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú
You know the theory that the word barbarus was formed in imitation of the incomprehensible speech of foreigners? In a similar spirit, the Arabic word for "non-Arab" is related to speaking unclearly or having a speech impediment.
Yeah, pretty common in the world.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú