Interesting Words (moved from Games)

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Are all those who reacted studying Arabic now? It seems to be all the fashion.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Yeah.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Epikoros, a Jewish word for one without a place in the world to come. Yeah, pretty much from the philosopher. Epicurus didn’t deserve this.

Last edited:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

We've got that one in Czech: dát = dare; předat = per +dare .. and it means here "to give something unwillingly in a surplus [often used sarcastistically]": "Dal mi jenom dvě. Aby se nepředal!" = he gave me just two. I sincerely-hope he hadn't "overgiven" himself [that scoundrel]!" <- really difficult to render it in English :D

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

You know the theory that the word barbarus was formed in imitation of the incomprehensible speech of foreigners? In a similar spirit, the Arabic word for "non-Arab" is related to speaking unclearly or having a speech impediment.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

According to that link, it can also mean a variety of other unrelated things. I do like 'impotence of speech', though.

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

---> MnE "thane".

And the proper name "Thain". I know someone by that name.
Think I've mentioned this before, but when the new Hobbit movies came out some years ago & the actor said 'son of Thrain' /θɹeɪn/, it made me gag a little. Tolkien wrote the name as 'Thráin', meaning he wanted two syllables as in ON (which he borrowed it from).

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

I like the word 'poppycock' (evidently < Dutch pappe kak 'soft dung') because even though it's a euphemism, it contains the (coarse) English slang word 'cock'.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris