Interesting Words (moved from Games)

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

I have an equally hazy notion that Impy started the former; I know I started the latter. But I'm not sure where they are.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Alchemy. The etymology. Greek χημεία passed into Arabic, where it got the definite article al, and then was borrowed in that form into European languages. And then you've got near-doublets like Fr. chimie and alchimie (same Greek word, but one of them has that added Arabic article, and they have developed different meanings).

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Amazingly, the French verb "niquer", meaning "to fuck", is thought to be from the same root as an ancient Egyptian verb that meant the same (though perhaps less vulgarly).

French got the word from Arabic (so it was easy for me to remember the Arabic to translate that sentence, BTW, @Callaina ) and, well, just check these out:

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

How vulgar is the word in French? Is it as vulgar as the English word "fuck", or a bit less so?

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

That's amazing that a vulgar word is traceable that far back to a word that was (presumably) also vulgar and meant the same thing back then.

Hawkwood

• Civis

Kittle pitchering — to disrupt the flow of a "troublesome teller of long stories" by constantly questioning and contradicting unimportant details, especially at the start (best done in tandem with others)