Johannes Wheeler

stdape

I am asking if anyone one can read this. I only need the John Wheeler's 2 Lines.
As l am learning Latin, this one is above my Level.
it is a 1397 Document Would like the Latin and English Translation if possible
And thanks for the Trouble :)

Attachments

Glabrigausapes

Lammergeyer
Jeez. Think I'd have more fun with glagolitic than this nightmare. :no-clue:

Good luck! :thumb-up:

Last edited:

Tlepolemus

It may help, if you return to the very beginning of the document, 'cause it looks like a register with regular records and the first lines can be written more carefully.

Tlepolemus

It's a testament (last will), or a similar document. Every line begins with "(name) heredum/heredi (what)".
Screenshot_2021-06-03_20-51-31.png

The only person I can see similar to "John Wheeler" is "Joher (Jones?) Wheler, heir of a watermill". Are you interested in this guy?
NCA 3819 alt.JPG

Anyway, Lexicon Abbreviaturarum (Cappelli, 1928) is your guide in this investigation.

stdape

Sorry for delay been unwell. I am doing the Local History and Just wanted the Transcript in Latin and English if possible. I can see Johannes Wheeler and to do with the Water Mill but stuck with rest

Westcott

Civis Illustris
Joh[ann]es Wheler te[nens] Molendin[um] aquatic[um] ib[ide]m redd[et] p[er] an[nu]m 40s
Idem j Cottag[ium] cu[m] p[er]tin[entiis] q[uo]ndam voc[atum] Prystees hous p[er] an[nu]m 2s

John Wheler, tenant of a/the water mill in the same place, renders 40s per annum.
The same; one cottage with the appurtenances formerly called Priest's House, 2s per annum.

stdape

Joh[ann]es Wheler te[nens] Molendin[um] aquatic[um] ib[ide]m redd[et] p[er] an[nu]m 40s
Idem j Cottag[ium] cu[m] p[er]tin[entiis] q[uo]ndam voc[atum] Prystees hous p[er] an[nu]m 2s

John Wheler, tenant of a/the water mill in the same place, renders 40s per annum.
The same; one cottage with the appurtenances formerly called Priest's House, 2s per annum.
Wow you are amazing!! It is a lease list of 1390 when New College in Oxford became in possession of the Manor. How you deciphered that is just pure Genius and many thanks.

Westcott

Civis Illustris
Thank you, but I'm not that good - I've just realised I put reddet instead of reddit.
There are a lot of standard contractions. For example a letter p whose tail curls back and crosses itself means per. If the loop of the p then goes backwards and forms another loop it means pro. A p with an upwards curl means pre. After a while you just read these things automatically. When you see Johes, ibm or ptin you just read them as Johannes, ibidem or pertinentiis/pertinentibus. Which reminds me, I did wonder whether to write p[er]tin[enciis] because a lot of t's became c's in medieval Latin, but I thought this would be an unnecessary complication.