Johannes Wheeler

stdape

I am asking if anyone one can read this. I only need the John Wheeler's 2 Lines.
As l am learning Latin, this one is above my Level.
it is a 1397 Document Would like the Latin and English Translation if possible
And thanks for the Trouble :)

Attachments

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

Jeez. Think I'd have more fun with glagolitic than this nightmare. :no-clue:

Good luck! :thumb-up:

Last edited:

Tlepolemus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

It may help, if you return to the very beginning of the document, 'cause it looks like a register with regular records and the first lines can be written more carefully.

Tlepolemus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

It's a testament (last will), or a similar document. Every line begins with "(name) heredum/heredi (what)".
Screenshot_2021-06-03_20-51-31.png

The only person I can see similar to "John Wheeler" is "Joher (Jones?) Wheler, heir of a watermill". Are you interested in this guy?
NCA 3819 alt.JPG

Anyway, Lexicon Abbreviaturarum (Cappelli, 1928) is your guide in this investigation.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Johannes

stdape

Sorry for delay been unwell. I am doing the Local History and Just wanted the Transcript in Latin and English if possible. I can see Johannes Wheeler and to do with the Water Mill but stuck with rest

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I am guessing the next word is ibidem

Westcott

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Joh[ann]es Wheler te[nens] Molendin[um] aquatic[um] ib[ide]m redd[et] p[er] an[nu]m 40s
Idem j Cottag[ium] cu[m] p[er]tin[entiis] q[uo]ndam voc[atum] Prystees hous p[er] an[nu]m 2s

John Wheler, tenant of a/the water mill in the same place, renders 40s per annum.
The same; one cottage with the appurtenances formerly called Priest's House, 2s per annum.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I am in awe!

stdape

Joh[ann]es Wheler te[nens] Molendin[um] aquatic[um] ib[ide]m redd[et] p[er] an[nu]m 40s
Idem j Cottag[ium] cu[m] p[er]tin[entiis] q[uo]ndam voc[atum] Prystees hous p[er] an[nu]m 2s

John Wheler, tenant of a/the water mill in the same place, renders 40s per annum.
The same; one cottage with the appurtenances formerly called Priest's House, 2s per annum.
Wow you are amazing!! It is a lease list of 1390 when New College in Oxford became in possession of the Manor. How you deciphered that is just pure Genius and many thanks.

Westcott

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Thank you, but I'm not that good - I've just realised I put reddet instead of reddit.
There are a lot of standard contractions. For example a letter p whose tail curls back and crosses itself means per. If the loop of the p then goes backwards and forms another loop it means pro. A p with an upwards curl means pre. After a while you just read these things automatically. When you see Johes, ibm or ptin you just read them as Johannes, ibidem or pertinentiis/pertinentibus. Which reminds me, I did wonder whether to write p[er]tin[enciis] because a lot of t's became c's in medieval Latin, but I thought this would be an unnecessary complication.