Latin forum email services

Volatica Aquila

Question: this should probably be directed toward Akela, but if anyone else know go for it.

I chose to set up a latinforum email account, but I have some questions about some of the information it asks for.

1. Why does it care about my family income? :-s

2. Who all has access to the information that I give? (ie just Akela, anyone, just the admin staff...)

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

Our email service is provided by an external hosting company (THREAD: #1362

The reason this information is not posted in our News & Announcements forum is that I still haven't officially announced the release of the LatinForum email (because I haven't fully adapted its design to our main site, etc).

Everyone.net are the ones asking for the personal information on sign up. Many of the entries are optional, though. You should refuse giving any data you do not feel comfortable disclosing. Their privacy policy is described here: http://www.everyone.net/p_policy.html

The information you do choose to fill in will be available to the Everyone.net and the forum owner (me) if I do request a statistical report from them. It is not (and will not be) available to any of the Censors or anyone else not dealing with the everyone.net email servers.

This is all I can think of for now. Please feel free to ask any other questions you have.

Solange

I just had a quick look at that sign-up page and the only 'optional' items seem to be one's personal email address and phone number. There is no possible justification for all those other details to be released to those people.
Thanks but no thanks!

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

Another factor I didn't think about yesterday is that the statistic report would not be in a form of:
Name, email, location, annual income, etc...

but in the form of:
Members from England: 15; from USA: 30, from Panama: 1, etc
Members with annual income below 14, 000: 30; 14 000-20 000: 20; etc...

In other words, it would provide me with STATISTICS ONLY, not giving out your personal information.

Volatica Aquila

Thanks. I just thought that it was weird for an email service provider to ask me what my annual income was....

Although, I guess this forum asks me personal questions too...

You know all that "are you a koala?" nonsense... asking my species.. what? are you prejudiced or something!? :)

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

:hugegrin: Hey! I love koalas! I have at least four plush members of the species at my place. So, if anything, I am prejudiced towards them.

Regarding the sign up form... I do wish our email host asked less intrusive questions (or at least fewer of them). As most people, I dislike filling out such forms. However, it was security of their servers and quality of their support that made up my mind.

None of the alternatives looked nearly as professional.

Sa Seba

Consularis

• Consularis

Akela, not four, but nine Koalas!
(including 2 key chain koalas, a magnetic one hanging from the living room lamp and one, being a lamp itself)

A

Anonymous

I may be wrong, but I think the income info is used to decide what kind of ads we may be interested in. As not to pitch discount shopping and car dealerships to the same crowd. This is not always reasonable, but oh well.

And, of course, nobody is forced to answer these questions 100% truthfully *worrying of her reputation*