Latin music

AVGVSTA

Quantum superposition between future and antiquity
It wasn't that grand though because.... because we all forgot which god exactly we decided on to sacrifice to so it was a mess when we started to chant(paper record showed later it was Ceres)...... I even heard a friend invoking"Hadoneus, Son of Kronos and Rhea" when most certainly lunch is no business of the lord of the underworld.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

These guys really rock. I've kept listening to them since Augusta posted the first videos.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It's a pity, though, that they don't seem to have done my favorite Latin poem, eheu fugaces by Horace.

Anbrutal Russicus

Let us praise the ass!
(naturally the best-pronounced and sung performance of this on Youtube is the most downvoted)
Moar infos and Youtube performances: https://terreceltiche.altervista.org/donkey-mass/
I
Orientis partibus
adventavit asinus
pulcher et fortissimus
sarcinis aptissimus

Hey, hey sir asne, hey!

II
Hic in collibus Sichen
iam nutritus sub Ruben (1)
transiit per Iordanem
saliit in Bethlehem

III
Saltu vincit hinnulos
dammas et capreolos
super dromedarios
velox madianeos
IV
Aurum de Arabia
thus et myrrham de Saba (2)
tulit in ecclesia
virtus Asinaria (3)
V
Dum trahit vehicula
multa cum sarcinula
illius mandibula
dura terit pabula
VI
Cum aristis, hordeum
comedit et carduum
triticum ex palea
segregat in area (4)
VII
Amen dicas, asine
iam satur de gramine
Amen, amen itera
aspernare vetera
1) Ruben is the first-born son of Jacob
2) the donkey entering the church symbolically enters Jerusalem or peace. The land of Saba was the land of magicians-astrologists in the Middle Ages.
3) for the initiates, the Church had abandoned the path towards esoteric knowledge, so the glorified donkey indicates a new initiation path, the way of the mad.
4) once the animals were used to husk the wheat (simply by walking on the wheat)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Is that the best-pronounced performance? It's strange how a large number of Us are pronounced like the French u/German ü (/y/). Enjoyable, though.

Anbrutal Russicus

Is that the best-pronounced performance? It's strange how a large number of Us are pronounced like the French u/German ü (/y/). Enjoyable, though.
That's the thing - the hymn is French, with the refrain in Old/Middle French thrown in for good measure. Most of the other performances are in modern Roman Ecclesiastical or in Eastern European (Polish). Only iam needed to be pronounced as [d͡ʒæ̃m] or the like (also Iordanem). This performance - which is also nice - seems to use the exact same pronunciation, so unless one copied the other, they used the same source.

p.s.: duh, both performances are by the New London Consort.

Last edited: