LAVS DEO or LAUS DEO

rodrigo.hdezr

Plan on getting a tattoo with the phrase "LAVS DEO"

I would like it to resemble ancient latin stone carving and therefore plan on getting all caps and a lapidary font.

I've been told the correct lettering is laus Deo, however, I've come across several pictures of carvings using LAVS DEO.

I came across some posts here saying that if you are to use all caps, it is better to use V instead of U, also if it were to resemble ancient latin stone script, a V instead of U would be more appropriate

I just want to make sure this applies to this phrase in particular and if I am on the right track...

Would really appreciate some help,

Thanks!

Attachments

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Hello,

Yes, if you want it to look like an ancient Roman inscription, and if you use caps, you must write U as V. You can look at the link in my signature if you're curious about more detail on the history of spelling... But in any case, ancient Roman caps = LAVS DEO. You can add an interpunct too.

rodrigo.hdezr

Thanks a lot for replying

I dont know why I had trouble remembering the word "inscription" when I posted this, but am glad to see you understood what I meant

thanks again, appreciate it !

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

You are welcome!

Not that it is a pleasure to ask you this, but the site is having trouble and needs money, so if you think it's helpful and if you can afford to, please consider making a donation, even a very tiny minuscule little thing (a little+a little+a little... = a lot).