Live up to your name.

bathtime

I would like to say:

Live up to the meaning/connotation of your name.

For example, a girl named Faith should be trusting of the process if she lives by her name. This will be used as my signature in literal and jocular sense; and, I would like to keep it short.

Here are two efforts:
Vive instar nominis tui.
Live according to the likeness of your name.
and,​
Vive velut si nomen tuum sis (or, sit te)
Live as if you are your name.
Are these at all close? There must be a Latin idiom for this.​

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Hi,

Your attempts sound a bit weird to me, but I don't know of any idiom for it. Ideas that came to mind are vive dignus nomine tuo or ita vive ut nomine tuo dignus videaris, but there could be other and possibly better ways to do it.

bathtime

Hi,

Your attempts sound a bit weird to me, but I don't know of any idiom for it. Ideas that came to mind are vive dignus nomine tuo or ita vive ut nomine tuo dignus videaris, but there could be other and possibly better ways to do it.
I prefer the shorter translation as the second seems too long for what it portrays.

Vive dignus nomine tuo = Live worthy by/in respect to your name?

The bolded bit would be grammatically wrong.
I'll scrap it.

SECVMDVM NOMEN TVVM VIVE
siue fortaſſe
SICVT NOMINARIS VIVE
SECVMDVM NOMEN TVVM VIVE = Live according to your name?

SICVT NOMINARIS VIVE = Live just as you are called by name?

It's not an easy choice, but I'll go with SECVMDVM NOMEN TVVM VIVE for now.

Thank you both! :)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Vive dignus nomine tuo = Live worthy by/in respect to your name?
"In respect to your name" is a correct literal translation, but normally you would say "worthy of your name". Dignus, a, um + abl. = worthy of.

Adrian

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I personally like the direction Pacifica was heading with ita vive ut nomine tuo dignus videaris - coherent with classical latin (I would even apply slight rephrasing like ita te praebe ut dignus sis nomine tuo - Behave in such manner as to be worthy of thy name)

My second guess was rephrasing it
According to dictionary "to live up to" means "to fulfill expectations"
"ad spem respondere" - [to fulfill/ answer ] expectation(s) (Livy)
eg. [vitae consuetudine/ moribus] ad spem nominis responde - fullfil expectations of the name by means of behaviour
or perhaps [Cura ut ] fama nomini respondeat - [take care so that ] may the reputation "live up to" the name

bathtime

I personally like the direction Pacifica was heading with ita vive ut nomine tuo dignus videaris - coherent with classical latin (I would even apply slight rephrasing like ita te praebe ut dignus sis nomine tuo - Behave in such manner as to be worthy of thy name)
I like it too, but I prefer the quote to be as short as possible:

brevity = punch.

My second guess was rephrasing it
According to dictionary "to live up to" means "to fulfill expectations"
"ad spem respondere" - [to fulfill/ answer ] expectation(s) (Livy)
eg. [vitae consuetudine/ moribus] ad spem nominis responde - fullfil expectations of the name by means of behaviour
I like this, though the one below I like even better. Nice quote, btw; and, thank you for looking into this!

or perhaps [Cura ut ] fama nomini respondeat - [take care so that ] may the reputation "live up to" the name
This sounds like it should be a coined term—I like it best. I find it hits harder without the ad that the previous quote had. :)

bathtime

By the way, there are several issues there. What were you trying to say? Something like "You lost your time reading this"?
Yes. :oops:

Here it is written in an easy to read manner:
HOCLECTVMTEMPVMTVAMABSVMPSISTI
hoc lectum tempus tuam absumpsisti
I noticed that it should be tempus (not tempum).

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Hoc lectum, "this, having been read", (nom. or acc.?) just doesn't fit in the sentence (what would it be the subject or direct object of?); the accusative of tempus is tempus, not *tempum (it's a third-declension neuter noun: tempus, temporis, not second-declension masculine *tempus, tempi), and tuam (fem.) doesn't agree with it.

I would say hoc legendo (or his legendis) tempus [tuum] absumpsisti/perdidisti. You can omit tuum, and perhaps it's better to.

bathtime

Hoc lectum, "this, having been read", (nom. or acc.?) just doesn't fit in the sentence (what would it be the subject or direct object of?); the accusative of tempus is tempus, not *tempum (it's a third-declension neuter noun: tempus, temporis, not second-declension masculine *tempus, tempi), and tuam (fem.) doesn't agree with it.

I would say hoc legendo (or his legendis) tempus [tuum] absumpsisti/perdidisti. You can omit tuum, and perhaps it's better to.
I have to stop rushing things and make sure that all the cases fit and make sense. :(

By the reading of this, you have wasted [your] time.
Thanks! :)