I hope he lives long and happy.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
So do I.

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
The racoon received a memorial:
https://www.spiegel.de/panorama/weihnachtsmarkt-in-erfurt-mutmasslich-betrunkener-waschbaer-erschossen-a-1302630.html

... and the authorities received a shitstorm of course:

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Why did they have it shot? :(

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
Why did they have it shot?
... maybe you could bring it down to this simple summary:

There are essentially 3 options for what you can do with a drunk raccoon wandering through the streets of a German city:

1) Kill it.
2) Take it to an animal sanctuary.
3) Leave it alone and wait for it to go away.

Option 3 wouldn't make sense to any German.
Option 2 would really not be reasonable because the already poorly funded animal sanctuaries of Germany would run over with raccoons and other wild animals if you abode by that logic.
What you're left with is option 1, to which there is only one obstacle: You have to take the animal outside the city before executing it. But since the animal was drunk anyway, that didn't seem to be much of a problem.

The myriad of explanations comes from the myriad of reasons why #3 wouldn't make sense to any German :p

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
Your link leads to a member of this forum.

Etaoin Shrdlu

Civis Illustris
Should be fixed now. But how the hell did that happen? It's apparently someone who's only made a few posts, but the search problem means you can't see them. I'm reasonably sure none of them were on anything I looked at today, and I have no idea who he is.

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
Well, the headline is rather misleading. The "he was one in a million" statement was made by his sister with no reference to his drug abuse.

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
I can't see the attachments, but surely the two w's are vowels?

Terry S.

Quaestor
Staff member
I can see them now. I can't unsee them. Looks like it's back to what's your favourite boiler noise? :mrgreen:

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member