Local news

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
That's pretty good artwork, Pacifica. Well done! :)

Imperfacundus

Reprobatissimus

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

Iáson

Cívis Illústris
Not exactly 'local', but the statement half way through was amusing:

'The personality of dogs was also assessed with a questionnaire.'

I assume they then made detailed observations on how energetically the questionnaire was chewed, buried or eaten to determine various personality factors.

Etaoin Shrdlu

Civis Illustris
Dogs can be trained to read. At least that's what I conclude from the signs that say guide dogs are allowed where other dogs are forbidden – after all, their blind owners aren't going to be able to read them, and they're not in Braille.

Aurifex

Aedilis
Staff member
Dogs can be trained to read. At least that's what I conclude from the signs that say guide dogs are allowed where other dogs are forbidden – after all, their blind owners aren't going to be able to read them, and they're not in Braille.
Joking apart, the signs convey two bits of information to the sighted majority:

1. We have a rule that says you cannot bring your dog here.
2. If you see someone with a dog here, before you think of abusing them for enjoying a right that you are denied, consider the fact that they may be blind and their dog is a guide-dog.

Verbal and even physical abuse against disabled people is sadly quite common. One of the commonest situations in which it occurs is when disabled people whose disability is not outwardly apparent are seen using a public toilet reserved for the disabled.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius
Joking apart, the signs convey two bits of information to the sighted majority:

1. We have a rule that says you cannot bring your dog here.
2. If you see someone with a dog here, before you think of abusing them for enjoying a right that you are denied, consider the fact that they may be blind and their dog is a guide-dog.

Verbal and even physical abuse against disabled people is sadly quite common. One of the commonest situations in which it occurs is when disabled people whose disability is not outwardly apparent are seen using a public toilet reserved for the disabled.
Don't forget autistic people (such as myself) as well.

Don't forget autistic people (such as myself) as well.
The little fella (my lad) has his ASD screening at the end of feb. Over a year we've been waiting for this. I think we know the outcome, well we're thinking/hoping it's 'high functioning' but we'll see. You know Iohannes, we're all on the spectrum to an extent, it's just that some tick the required amount of boxes to get an official diagnosis. You probably know this already.

Terry S.

scurra
Staff member
You know Iohannes, we're all on the spectrum to an extent, it's just that some tick the required amount of boxes to get an official diagnosis. You probably know this already.

I couldn't agree more. The only reason I'm not too vocal about placing myself on the ADS is that I don't want to appear to trivialise anyone else's more serious diagnosis, but I'd be prepared to bet significantly that I'm on it somewhere.

Cinefactus

Censor
Staff member
I would be alarmed if I was diagnosed to be on the NT spectrum ;)

Etaoin Shrdlu

Civis Illustris
What a wonderful writer. Is the main language of communication in these places English, or rather Eurglish? This could be a rich vein.