Local news

Terry S.

scurra
Staff member

Terry S.

scurra
Staff member
Court wakes up and smells the coffee after jury mix-up!

written by courtside reporter April 29, 2017
Shares
ShareTweet

A bizarre mix-up during the impanelling of a jury in Letterkenny certainly had legal staff smelling the coffee.
The incident happened as a jury of 12 people was being sworn in for a trial at Letterkenny Circuit Court.
Just moments before the trial was due to begin, Counsel for the State, Ms Patricia McLaughlin, told Judge Terence O’Sullivan that a potentially serious issue had arisen.
It transpired that one of the 12 jurors chosen had written down the word ‘barrister’ as her profession on the jury enrollment sheet.
Ms McLaughlin said she considered the woman may be unsuitable and in fact, may not be allowed by law to serve on the jury.
Judge O’Sullivan agreed, saying it may be the case that the woman may not be a practising barrister.
The woman was called out from the jury room and Judge O’Sullivan asked the woman if she was a barrister.
The woman looked momentarily puzzled and replied “I am a barista.”

http://www.donegaldaily.com/2017/04/29/court-wakes-up-and-smells-the-coffee-after-jury-mix-up/

Etaoin Shrdlu

Civis Illustris
I don't believe sonic moles exist anywhere.

I've linked to the AP report rather than the original story on a local site, because I like the way it tells you how to pronounce the name of the locality (which I admit I'd never thought about), and it has a link to the Citizens' Voice site. Frankly, I think they ruin it; you want a deadpan delivery for this one. https://apnews.com/536b13e653454ebcbb8586b2f44bac1f?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Oddities

Terry S.

scurra
Staff member

Etaoin Shrdlu

Civis Illustris
It's understandable why a thief might target the sort of electronic doodahs that are everywhere nowadays, doing all sorts of whizzbang tasks. But when they're GPS tracking devices...you can see where this one is going, right?

Araneus

Umbraticus Lector
Some local people here want to make this mountain formation the most popular tourist-destination in all of Norway - by christening it "Trollpikken" - "The Troll Dick".

Terry S.

scurra
Staff member
Ireland has several similar formations which locals, historically, have named 'Bud an diabhail' = the Devil's dick. Since the Gaeltacht was culturally by-passed by both the Renaissance and Victorian prudery, Gaels have no problem with such toponymy - but they wouldn't say it in English!

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius
There's also Ko Samui in Thailand, which has a rock formation featuring phalli.

Lysandra

Canis
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-21/dark-mofo-nude-solstice-swim-towel-shortage-tasmania/8637118

Some local news from Tassie. :D I had to come down to Hobart for a few days to take an exam so this morning I went to check out the famous Dark Mofo solstice swim. Merely as a spectator of course...not a participant! I did, however, find a cool memento that someone left behind!

View attachment 5411

View attachment 5410

Oh, and I almost got interviewed by an ABC reporter who thought I'd been in the swim. :D
Now that's what I call a Class A acquisition. Hobart was recently bought to my attention via a catchy little tune playing between videos on YouTube.

Araneus

Umbraticus Lector
Someone went and cut down the Troll Dick last night. Used drilling equipment and everything. Just as it was starting to attract tourists.
cc0a77991ecd791357ce851275d4550d.jpg

Lysandra

Canis
That's so sad! :( Why would anyone do that? I wanted to see this Trollpikken one day.

Araneus

Umbraticus Lector
Why would anyone do that?
Seems people suspect drunken youths, but I can't imagine a group of kids leaving a party with heavy-duty drilling equipment, set off into the wilderness, and cut this formation down with as neat precision as possible. I'd rather guess it might be an anti-tourist precaution or something. I'll tell you if something more comes up.