Martini Cromeri ex quarto libro de origine & rebus gestis Polonorum nonnulli loci dubii

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

There is a department at my uni, where people learn Serbian. It's not without a reason. It's not just mlijeko/mleko difference. There are some kajkavian dialects which also use ekavian versions, but kajkavian dialects were never Serbian. Slovenian is also ekavian and has never been Serbian.

One Serbian woman who moved here (is now working as the lecturer for Arabic at my university) had to learn Croatian, since yes, we can understand each other, but we're not talking the same language. American/British English comparison is a bit too simplified.

D

Deleted member 13757

When you said there are genealogical differences, what did you mean?

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

I'm lying lol No comment. I was being as sarcastic as you were :p

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

When you said there are genealogical differences, what did you mean?
I said there are cultural differences. Most of the linguists here share this view, and I trust they know what they're talking about.

There's also a nice book written by Ranko Matasović where he even quotes the different genetical pools we belong to. Due to the amount of romanised Illyrians who inhabited this area before Slavs came, we're more (genetically speaking) different than any Serb is willing to admit.

As far as cultural difference is concerned, we belong to different cultural groups - while they were ruled by Turks, we were rulsd by Habsburgs and then Austro-Hungarian empire. We only came into the same (forced) state in 1918...and anyone who knows anything about this area know how "well" we get along.

Our first literature was written in Latin and church Slavonic which was developing nicely, until Vatican intervened later, and set us into this course of "unified" language.

Last edited:
E

Etaoin Shrdlu

while they were ruled by Turks, we were rulesd by Habsburgs and then Austro-Hungarian empire. We only came into the same (forced) state in 1918
I was under the impression that most of Serbia was in the Austro-Hungarian empire.

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Sorry, you appear to be right. I'm not an expert on anything in the region, though I did travel through the old Yugoslavia on a travel visa, being at the time a citizen of one of the five odd countries where visas were necessary but automatic. It was valid for a month, which seemed to me unduly pessimistic about the trains between Vienna and Greece, but I came to appreciate it.