Martini Cromeri ex tertio libro de origine & rebus gestis Polonorum nonnulli loci dubii

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

1628536904328.png

cum Cracoviae ... qua veniebat ---> is the preposition ex missing because this is movement away from a city?

1628537791755.png

dicere non habemus .... I fully well know that's a mediaevalism, but is this construction fairly equivalent to dicere non possumus/nequimus?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

cum Cracoviae ... qua veniebat ---> is the preposition ex missing because this is movement away from a city?
Preps are typically omitted before city names, but not before pronouns referring to cities.
In any case, even if an ex had been dropped it would be rather odd for the pronoun to refer to the city while et in itinere comes in between. It's more likely qua (via).
dicere non habemus .... I fully well know that's a mediaevalism, but is this construction fairly equivalent to dicere non possumus/nequimus?
Yes. The OLD actually has a few classical quotes for that usage.

D

Deleted member 13757

Isn't more like "we don't have anything to say" instead of "we can't say anything".

D

Deleted member 13757

Simply "we can't say" without the word "anything" is much better.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Simply "we can't say" without the word "anything" is much better.
I like that, as it would be more literal, but thanks to Pacifica for the OLD excerpt. It's clear now.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

One more, towards the end of the chapter, that I forgot to mention:

1628580320240.png

Surely that should have been gignendo?
Btw I love how they used to end epistles and chapters with such elegant formatting. What sucks is that the text is one long chunk without any paragraph indentations etc. But at least there are notes in the margins that let the reader know what a given passage is about.

Attachments

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Would that be easier to read?

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Yet I was under the impression that this XVIth c. type is clear and legible enough...