memento mori

johnny123

Hi Guys,

I've used the search and saw a thread about this already however had a further question to ask.

I understand that literally it is translated as "remember to die" but understood as "remember you have to die"

I want to get a tattoo and was wondering what would be the way to say the latter. "Remember you have to die".

Could someone please help me figure out if there's a difference.

Thanks for all your help in advance. I truly appreciate any input.

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
I understand that literally it is translated as "remember to die" but understood as "remember you have to die"

I want to get a tattoo and was wondering what would be the way to say the latter. "Remember you have to die".

"Remember you have to die" would more literally be memento tibi moriendum esse

For a tattoo, I'd stick with the known phrase memento mori, though.
Well, personally, I wouldn't get one at all, but that's another story.

johnny123

"Remember you have to die" would more literally be memento tibi moriendum esse

For a tattoo, I'd stick with the known phrase memento mori, though.
Well, personally, I wouldn't get one at all, but that's another story.
Okay. Thanks.
But generally, memento mori does mean Remember you have to(must?) die, its just an interpretation not a direct literal translation?

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
I don't know where the phrase originally comes from - maybe that was discussed in the other thread you mentioned?
It sounds a bit like it could be the end of a pentametre or part of a poem, where you have a certain degree of liberty.
Quite literally, memento mori can either mean "remember to die" or "keep dying in mind"/"do not forget about dying" -- I suppose it is not a big leap from there to arrive at "remember that you have to die"