My views don't count

Etaoin Shrdlu

μεσσηγυδορποχέστης
No, not like that.

I've noticed that when I click on a thread, the number of times the website says it has been viewed doesn't change. I didn't initially give the matter much thought, assuming that perhaps it didn't record more than one visit per member, though that seemed a bit odd.

Now I've looked into the matter more, and it seems my views never make the post count go up: I tried it on old threads that I'm pretty sure I've never visited, and even from a different browser where I wasn't signed in, just in case that made a difference.

So whose views are being counted, and why?

Etaoin Shrdlu

μεσσηγυδορποχέστης
It does. But then, I made a post, and it would look odd if it had one view and two posts. I viewed the thread a couple of times afterwards without making a post, and it hasn't changed. Now, presumably, it will have had three views.

Edit: just to see if editing a post counts as an additional view.

Second edit: no, it doesn't. But all threads I've seen have more views than posts, which is logical. So whose views count?

rothbard

Aedilis
Staff member
I seem to have the same issue. I have tried viewing some recent threads I hadn't read before, and the number of views didn't increase, even after refreshing the page.

Pacifica

grammaticissima
Staff member
Same here.

I love the wordplay in the title.

scrabulista

Consul
Staff member
Hmm...mine don't count either. It doesn't bother me though.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú
Strange things seem to happen here.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris
I think such things probably take some time to update the counter.

Bitmap

Civis Illustris
I've noticed that the view count updates if you click "Like" on a post.

Etaoin Shrdlu

μεσσηγυδορποχέστης
It doesn't bother me though.
I hadn't really given much thought to the matter – as Issacus said, it's just another one of the Strange Things – but it became an issue when I was considering a reply to the Trump thread. At the time seven people had voted, and I was going to say something about how that compared to all the people who had viewed the thread without voting, not wishing to become involved in anything political and quite possibly fervently wishing it would all go away. But I realised that there was no meaningful way of estimating this from the views, particularly as one would have to make further assumptions to allow for multiple views of a thread by the same person.