My views don't count

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Etaoin Shrdlu

To me this thread doesn't seem out of place in the "technical" section. The first post on this thread is about a "technical" thing.
Yes, but -- it was started in the same spirit as my anathema, locked Strange Things thread, which unsurprisingly was mentioned in the few posts this thread garnered in its original incarnation. I wasn't intent on compiling a list of glitches that needed serious attention, necessarily -- back in 2019 nobody really wanted to address technical issues more than necessary to keep the forum alive. I wasn't expecting someone to take notice of it in the way you do when reporting a piece of faulty equipment; I was inviting others to marvel at the vicissitudes of software, and perhaps contribute their own experiences. If something was important, and someone knew how to fix it, that was an unexpected bonus, but I didn't think it was very likely.

So you can see why I don't really understand what's wrong with this. I've said any number of times how much I appreciate the work Godmy's put into the forum, as we all do. Of course it makes sense to have a Technical forum and a thread for reporting faults. But why take my Strange Thing s thread, never intended for the purpose, and get angry when it wasn't being what it was never meant to be? And then, why move this thread we're on now, along with what appear to be a few random others, from the Feedback forum to this one, when there are any number left in the folder where they were originally created? Why is this forum not in some way part of or linked to Suggestions and Feedback? Why are these questions, or suggestions, treated as though they were random abuse, and deemed unworthy of answers?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Yes, but -- it was started in the same spirit as my anathema Strange Things thread, which unsurprisingly was mentioned in the few posts this thread garnered in its original incarnation. I wasn't intent on compiling a list of glitches that needed serious attention, necessarily -- back in 2019 nobody really wanted to address technical issues more than necessary to keep the forum alive. I wasn't expecting someone to take notice of it in the way you do when reporting a piece of faulty equipment; I was inviting others to marvel at the vicissitudes of software, and perhaps contribute their own experiences. If something was important, and someone knew how to fix it, that was an unexpected bonus, but I didn't think it was very likely.
I see. Unfortunately that wasn't really obvious to others (at least not to me or Godmy).
So you can see why I don't really understand what's wrong with this. I've said any number of times how much I appreciate the work Godmy's put into the forum, as we all do. Of course it makes sense to have a Technical forum and a thread for reporting faults. But why take my Strange Times thread, never intended for the purpose, and get angry when it isn't being what it was never intended to be? And then, why move this thread we're on now, along with what appear to be a few random others, from the Feedback forum to this one, when there are any number left in the folder where they were originally created?
To be fair, whatever the spirit in which the thread was initially created, it did evolve into a thread where errors and the like were reported and given attention to by the mods, so again I understand how it came across as a "technical" thread.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Threads evolve. If glitches are addressed by those with the skills to address them, I think we can all agree that this is a Good Thing.

I don't have a problem with thread evolution, because I regard threads as conversations. Others are stricter on the subject. Everyone has their own taste. There are people who get very upset if threads deviate from topic in the slightest. If they confine this to their own threads, fair enough, but striding about the place policing the threads started by others, or claiming that all threads belong to you because without you the forum wouldn't exist, strikes me as not a good look, or sensible moderation.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

If they confine this to their own threads, fair enough, but striding about the place policing the threads started by others, or claiming that all threads belong to you because without you the forum wouldn't exist, strikes me as not a good look, or sensible moderation. Others may have different opinions on the matter.
I agree on that point. It's kind of a separate issue from the one I was addressing in my last post, though. (I regard moving a thread to a new section because it seems to fit there and playing the anti-off-topic police on someone else's thread as two different things.)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

The two issues may be related in that if the new section is Godmy's and to be moderated by him as he pleases, then I see why you'd be displeased to see your posts moved there if they were intended to be conversation-friendly.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

In this new Forum, along with what you might expect, one finds this thread, one about stickies in a particular forum, and one where a member was told off for posting pictures. Why were these three moved when there are any number of other threads just on the first (of 11) pages of the Suggestions and Feedback forum with better qualifications?

It's not the moving as such that bothers me -- it's always been a bit of a joke as to what is in which subforum. It's being ignored when these questions are raised, as though there were something blasphemous in querying anything that happens. Yes, if we don't have people to provide technical support, there's no forum. But if we don't have people to provide content, there's no forum either. Treating them like shit isn't the best of tactics.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Which, for fact fans, is 4 -- in other words, my last message, sent by clicking Reply and making the box reappear, wasn't counted, although it appeared to be sent.
Wait, actually I only remember two messages being sent, apart from the OP, before I left the conversation: one by you and one by me.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

That would be three. I replied, which would have been the fourth, but you probably nuked it before you could see it, and then of course you didn't see the one I sent after I knew you'd nuked it.

All this could have been avoided if someone had explained the Leave facility. Has anyone used or even notice it, apart from Bestiola? In any case, it underlines what I've said about the need for better communication.

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

Rising from the dead to make a couple points clear:

1. There is no way within Xenforo to covertly view someone's PMs.
2. No technically literate person would take on the risks of manually editing a live database for simple spite. There are far safer exercises of spite one could engage in.

Status
Not open for further replies.