News (Languages) Mystery of the Voynich manuscript SOLVED!

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

My shame would remain in some obscure internet corners, has it has before, though my shame has never been so massive as that — unless I'm being delusional?!

Do I behold an error? From Pacifica of all people, the renowed grammaticissima? Ah, the irony! :eek: :eek:

;) :p

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I think he must have been, given those posts from 2017. Yes, someone might create a hoax and try to get it published, but would they try steadily for a year and a half?

I suppose we're all at risk of it in our own way. Catullus has some words of wisdom on the subject:

XXII

Suffenus iste, Vare, quem probe nosti,
homo est venustus et dicax et urbanus,
idemque longe plurimos facit versus.
puto esse ego illi milia aut decem aut plura
perscripta, nec sic ut fit in palimpsesto
relata: cartae regiae, novi libri,
novi umbilici, lora rubra membranae,
derecta plumbo et pumice omnia aequata.
haec cum legas tu, bellus ille et urbanus
Suffenus unus caprimulgus aut fossor
rursus videtur: tantum abhorret ac mutat.
hoc quid putemus esse? qui modo scurra
aut si quid hac re scitius videbatur,
idem infaceto est infacetior rure,
simul poemata attigit, neque idem umquam
aeque est beatus ac poema cum scribit:
tam gaudet in se tamque se ipse miratur.
nimirum idem omnes fallimur, neque est quisquam
quem non in aliqua re videre Suffenum
possis. suus cuique attributus est error;
sed non videmus manticae quod in tergo est.
Yes. But I like to think there are degrees and I haven't reached such heights, yet!
You've posted nothing on this site.
What, nothing shameful? I certainly have, though you may not have seen it.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

What are they?

I though PhD was the highest because each time I've had to fill in a survey where they asked about your education level, PhD has been the highest on the list... I think...

Where does the infernal academic scale stop?

B

Bitmap

Well, for starters you can have more than one PhD, in which case you wouldn't be called "Dr. Smart", but "Dr. Dr. Smart" :p but that's just a quantitative thing.

A PhD title is usually not that impressive because everybody has one (ok, that's a slight exaggeration, but I know some pretty unimpressive "Dr."s).

If you have a PhD (or "Doctor title" as it's literally called over here) and have worked at a university some time, you can "habilitate" (habilitieren), which extends your title to "Dr. habil." or "PD Dr." (I think the choice is up to you. PD means 'Privatdozent') ... with that title, you can apply for the title of a "Professor", which means being the (educational, not necessarily administrative) head of an institute or a department (or in other words holding its professorial chair). As I've mentioned before, you don't get to be called "Professor" easily in Germany; it's the highest title you can achieve.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Ah, I see, but PhD is the highest title you get from studying, professor being more of a... professional thing. :p

B

Bitmap

Ah, I see, but PhD is the highest title you get from studying, professor being more of... professional thing. :p

That's true ... but at least the habilitation requires you to undergo more examinations, papers and, consequentially, therapies.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Some higher doctorate degrees include: (https://www.topuniversities.com/blog/what-phd)

Doctor of Science (DS/SD): Awarded in recognition of a substantial and sustained contribution to scientific knowledge beyond that required for a PhD.

Doctor of Literature/Letters (DLit/DLitt/LitD): Awarded in recognition of achievement in the humanities or for original contribution to the creative arts.

Doctor of Divinity (DD): Awarded above the Doctor of Theology (DTh), usually to recognize the recipient’s ministry-oriented accomplishments.

Doctor of Music (DMus): Awarded in the UK, Ireland and some Commonwealth countries on the basis of a substantial portfolio of compositions and/or scholarly publications on music.

Doctor of Civil Law (DCL): Highest doctorate excepting the DD, offered on the basis of exceptionally insightful and distinctive publications that contain significant and original contributions to the study of law or politics in general.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

In the Divinity court.

"At Oxford, the degree is a higher doctorate usually awarded on the basis of exceptionally insightful and distinctive publications that contain significant and original contributions to the study of law or politics in general. As of June 2016, the DCL has been suspended, pending a reform of the higher doctorates."

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Incidentally, it costs 2395€ to publish an article in Romance Studies, where the piece about the manuscript appeared.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Incidentally, it costs 2395€
Oof. How did this even happen? To be 100% serious about these claims, and spend that much on it...it takes logic away and me back to people trying to classify Sumerian.

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

Did he pay it or did his employer (University of Bristol?) pay it? Usually the employer pays the page charges.