New fora

J.M

Salve!
Today I would like to suggest if maybe you could add another for a for translating from languages other than English e.g. Spanish, German, French etc. into Latin,
Thank you!
J.M

B

Bitmap

Well, this is an English forum, so in my opinions it's fine as is ... I don't actually like the idea of splitting this forum in yet another 100 subfora. What's wrong with just posting your German - Latin requests in the regular translation section?

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

We could have two:

•English to Latin
•Other to Latin

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

B

Bitmap

How many translation requests from languages other than English do you really get? Does that really warrant the creation of even more subfora?

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Bitmap the Traditionalist.

Might as well ask, why is change so bad?

Reactions: J.M
B

Bitmap

We're in a forum aimed at a language that hasn't changed over the course of the last 2000 years* and you ask me why change is so bad.

* granted, there might be some speakers of French, Spanish, Italian and a few other languages who might disagree ... but let's be real, they just get their language wrong :p

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

* granted, there might be some speakers of French, Spanish, Italian and a few other languages who might disagree ... but let's be real, they just get their language wrong :p
Mmm, that's a fire to start a forum war among devoted linguists.
I mean, I get what your saying, but can you at least what I'm saying? Simply changing the name to fit modern wants.

B

Bitmap

Mmm, that's a fire to start a forum war among devoted linguists.
I mean, I get what your saying, but can you at least what I'm saying? Simply changing the name to fit modern wants.

I'm a bad-ass Latinist. How dare you even think I understand anything of what you say? I'm old enough to remember how this forum consisted of only 4 subfora. Back in those days, whenever I wanted to make a post, I had to send a slave (usually on a donkey) to Akela who would bring her my message. It took them half a year to arrive and another 3 months of uploading until my responses finally appeared online ... and some of those bastards didn't even return!

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Behold, those times are gone. Now, we can send messages so quickly that even the best horse could not dream of the speed. Or donkey.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

I joined when this website had a simple blue banner at the top without any of those fancy busts of famous Romans.

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

I'm with Bitmap, no need to induce changes, multiply entities (=fora) and rename known things. The majority is English (99.9%). Just make sure that you don't persecute the people who ask for a translation from a foreign language (foreign to English), I suppose even THAT request might be written in English since those people still have to know their way around the forum.

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

I'm a bad-ass Latinist. How dare you even think I understand anything of what you say? I'm old enough to remember how this forum consisted of only 4 subfora. Back in those days, whenever I wanted to make a post, I had to send a slave (usually on a monkey) to Akela who would bring her my message. It took them half a year to arrive and another 3 months of uploading until my responses finally appeared online ... and some of those bastards didn't even return!

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

The majority is English (99.9%).
I don't do spreadsheets, but it can't be that extreme, can it? Assuming you're counting either by those who've been posting recently or by number of posts.

OK, I'm probably being contrarian by nature, but I'm not the only one. In any case I'd like to counter any impression that may have arisen that the forum shouldn't be open to requests for translation into Latin from another language. We are fortunate enough to have a wide variety of posters who have different native languages, are interested in language as such, and have studied various languages to differing extents at different times of their lives. Obviously, a translation into English should be provided when possible for the benefit of those unfamiliar with the original. As for whether the forum is to be called Translation from English into Latin or Translation into Latin, I leave to the Powers That Be, assuming they care enough.

Incidentally, there is an urban mythy story that may surprisingly have a basis in truth, though I can't confirm it at present. At a particular university the examinations for Latin and Greek contained passages where the examinee was instructed to translate passages from the respective language. One student translated them into Serbo-Croat, as it was back then. Henceforth the papers specified that the passages were to be translated into English.