New fora

B

Bitmap

I don't do spreadsheets, but it can't be that extreme, can it? Assuming you're counting either by those who've been posting recently or by number of posts.
The way I understood it was that the majority of contributors are able to speak English :p

OK, I'm probably being contrarian by nature, but I'm not the only one. In any case I'd like to counter any impression that may have arisen that the forum shouldn't be open to requests for translation into Latin from another language. We are fortunate enough to have a wide variety of posters who have different native languages, are interested in language as such, and have studied various languages to differing extents at different times of their lives.
I may be a bit of a traditionalist, but the English-Latin translation forum is a subforum that has always existed in all of the time I can remember being here.

I'm not opposed to the idea of allowing people to ask for translations from languages other than English. I just think this forum is split up into too many subfora already, and some of them are pretty pointless in my opinion.

Incidentally, there is an urban mythy story that may surprisingly have a basis in truth, though I can't confirm it at present. At a particular university the examinations for Latin and Greek contained passages where the examinee was instructed to translate passages from the respective language. One student translated them into Serbo-Croat, as it was back then. Henceforth the papers specified that the passages were to be translated into English.

Lol :) Yes, you have to specify that. It's the same in German schools or universities.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Incidentally, there is an urban mythy story that may surprisingly have a basis in truth, though I can't confirm it at present. At a particular university the examinations for Latin and Greek contained passages where the examinee was instructed to translate passages from the respective language. One student translated them into Serbo-Croat, as it was back then. Henceforth the papers specified that the passages were to be translated into English.

The national Latin sight translation competition here explicitly allows for translations into English and French (and no others), as they are the two official languages.