non est dominus

Buglogger

Hello - this is my first post here - could someone please confirm the definition of the Latin “non est dominus”? Thanks!

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Hello,

It could mean a couple of different things depending on context. So, is there a context? Where did you find the phrase?

Buglogger

I’m wary of the google translation, which is “there is no master”. I like the idea of the phrase having more than one meaning depending on context.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Google Translate usually messes up translations that involve Latin, but this time it didn't. It could indeed mean "there is no master".

You haven't answered my question as to where the phrase comes from and whether there is a context.

Or are you actually trying to translate from English into Latin and checking the result by posting it here as if it were a Latin-English translation? People do that sometimes, but the best way to go in those cases is actually to post in the English-Latin translation section, providing both the original English and the translation you want checked.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Yes, that is also a possible translation. The context, if there were any, would tell us what is meant.