Ocarina of Time

LenCabral

Hi everyone,

This is a bit of an unusual request, due to the amount of time it would take a potential helper, but I figured the English-to-Latin thread is the best place for this type of translation request. If you lack knowledge of the Zelda video-game series, you do not need to read any further.

I have been translating the video game The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time into Latin for slightly over a year in my spare time. I am looking for feedback on a dictionary that I have composed of in-game terminology. Some of these translations have perfect classic Latin counterparts (e.g., bow = arcus), some of them have imperfect counterparts (e.g., fairy = nympha) and some have no counterpart at all and are simply my best attempt (e.g., file = tabula). There are several hundred terms in total (some are trivial of course, like "ocarina = ocarina, ae, f.")

I am looking for someone with Zelda knowledge as well as Latin knowledge (duh) to possibly review the work that I have done so far and give suggestions, comments, and general feedback. I will take any comments very seriously into account.

I have attached the dictionary as a pdf to this thread.

Attachments

fabulaZeldae

I have not read the entire list you have going there, but I just wanted to comment that I am madly impressed, and fully support, such a project!

You may have heard that a fan translator already did Zelda I and II?

fabulaZeldae

I like the translation of Master Sword as Gladius Maximus; I used the same translation in a chant I wrote based on the Song of Time (or shall I say "Carmen Tempestatum"?).

In this same chant that I wrote, "Sacred Realm" was actually rendered as "Regia Sacra". "Regnum Sacrum" seems it could work, too; just putting that out there.

I noticed that you translated "Master Quest". Are you translating the Master Quest edition of the game then?

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

Much of that stuff, it's like your guess is as good as mine, but I have to say:
Summanus for Sabooro is very clever, and my favorite is Solodominus. However, o-stem compounds of this type in Latin typically have a reduced vowel, as in centimanus 'hundred-hands' from centum, thus Solidominus. But it's as you like it!

Also, maybe nom. Goro for 'Goron'.

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

Wonder if 'octorok' is supposed to be octo + Japanese roku for 'six'? Aren't they often depicted with 6 tentacles? Having 4 like a stool plus two longer ones?

fabulaZeldae

Woah! Great work, and great news.

Ita vero, attractivus mihi sit versionem actualem legere. (Indeed, it would be interesting to me to read the actual translation).

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

A mammoth task! Almost like stopping the moon from colliding with & obliterating Clocktown (... and the world).

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

Ita vero, attractivus mihi sit versionem actualem legere. (Indeed, it would be interesting to me to read the actual translation).
That's good stuff. But the logic of the Latin is: 'Reading-the-actual-version' (a noun phrase dependent on legere, which is treated as a neuter) 'would be...'
Thus, you want attractivum mihi...
Also, because your having the actual translation at present is not the case ('contrary to fact/contrafactual'), your subjunctive should be imperfect. The entire sentiment being:
'If I had the actual version, it would please me to read it.'
Attractivum mihi foret...

fabulaZeldae

That's good stuff. But the logic of the Latin is: 'Reading-the-actual-version' (a noun phrase dependent on legere, which is treated as a neuter) 'would be...'
Thus, you want attractivum mihi...
Also, because your having the actual translation at present is not the case ('contrary to fact/contrafactual'), your subjunctive should be imperfect. The entire sentiment being:
'If I had the actual version, it would please me to read it.'
Attractivum mihi foret...
Gratias tibi pro correctione amice!

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

Beneventu's tu, optume virorum!

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Hello all, I am surprised by the reaction! :) I am currently on page 226/233 (97%). I can send you an updated pdf of the terms/actual translation if you are interested!
Wow. I’m sorry that I haven’t been of much help so far. That’s great work.

Iairus Augustus

Hullo, absolute beginner here. Gotta say, I'm very excited about this project of yours, Mr. LenCabral. I've picked up some french by re-playing the games from my childhood ('L'ocarina du temps' among them), and I would love to do it all over again with this translation of yours. (I feel like I need something lighter before taking a crack at ol' Livy)

Michael Zwingli

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I am looking for feedback on a dictionary that I have composed of in-game terminology. Some of these translations...have imperfect counterparts (e.g., fairy = nympha) [...] I am looking for someone with Zelda knowledge as well as Latin knowledge (duh) to possibly review the work that I have done so far and give suggestions, comments, and general feedback...
One thing jumps out. Most people assume that English "fairy" derives from the adjective "fair". Not true; it has Latin roots. Middle English "fairie" and Old English "faerie", whence modern "fairy" are composed of two morphemes: "fa" and "irie"/"erie". Said "fa" comes, through Old French, from Vulgar Latin "Fata", the name of a goddess (this name, of course, from Latin fatum). Said "erie" comes, in like manner by way of Old French, from the Latin nominalizing (not the adjectival) derivational suffix -arius/-aria. You could concievably take authorial license, and use these Latin roots to form fataria/fatarii/fatariorum (since fairies are, to my knowledge, a universally feminine beings) as a possible Latin translation for English "fairy"...just a thought.

Last edited: