Old Norse/Icelandic

CogAlex

Has anyone here studied the language to an advanced degree (in terms of reading)? I'm interested in reading the sagas in the original tongue, and gaining a better understanding of viking history. I know fairly little about the language, besides what is presented in this video:

and in this

Phonologically how difficult is the language? I'm usually able to reproduce native-like accents when learning foreign languages (anything from French to Turkish), but had considerable difficulty when learning Norweigan (the phonology, not the grammar- which was extremely easy for someone who already speaks English and German).

Also, does anyone know how to get copies of the Norse Sagas in the original language? The only publisher I was able to track down is http://www.hib.is/

Overall, those who have learned the language, would you say that it was worth it?

CogAlex

I'd also appreciate any insights from those who have merely dabbled in the language. What other great works of literature exist in the language besides the Norse Sagas? How is Icelandic literature (e.g. poetry, novels post-Viking era). Actually, how is Scandinavian literature in general? Knowing Icelandic in addition to two other Germanic languages, I imagine learning Danish/Norwegian/Swedish must be almost effortless.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Icelandic is really cool.

I have studied Icelandic. It's pretty hard. I mean, it retains a lot of those older unnecessarily complex functions. Þú ert dauður if you try to slack.

It is not ON, no matter what enthusiasts tell you-though it has held onto a lot of the functions of it.

Big Horn

I've been dipping a toe into Old Norse. I have the Gordon book mentioned in the video.

There is superb YouTube channel. Here are two of his videos as a sample. The second video, on verbs, begins with basics that members of this forum shouldn't need, but the video as a whole is an excellent treatment of Old Norse verbs.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Ég hef ekki æft um stund.

Þetta tungumál er mjög fallegt. Ég elska það svo mikið. Það er bara ótrúlegt. Þýska-tungumálin eru svo frábær!

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

I've gotten back into this, thankfully.

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

Go futhorc thyself, thou sunu reordcyningæs!

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

:browaction1:

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

I have futharken and futhorcen.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Was curious about norwegian. Do you also [know /speak] norwegian?
I can read Norwegian to a comfortable degree, but I can't really speak it. (Stopped learning the spoken part.) However I can speak some Swedish (it's pretty easy) which is enough for most Norwegian speakers.

Also, funny enough, when you asked me this I was studying Old Norse and Proto-Norse phonological changes.