Paideia

LuciusMaximus

Hello all!

I'm writing an essay and I'm in doubt about a plural form in Greek. I'm talking about a paideia. I would like to know the right word for two paideias (paideias sounds wrong...).

The greek paideia: OK
The greek and roman paid@!*?

Thanks for any help!

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

If you're writing the word in English, then paideias would be right.

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

You might see "the grasshopper has two antennae" in scientific writing. It might also appear as "the grasshopper has two antennae." Greek forms are rarer than Latin ones, yes. I suppose you could do paideai.

lepus

A quick Google search reveals that the word has appeared in publications in almost every possible spelling form, including Latin, transliterated Greek and hybrid, in combination with any of the possible plural endings: Greek, Latin, or Spanish/English.
As the word itself is rarely used, no binding conclusions can be drawn on the "commonly accepted usage", so you are free to choose from anything that's on the menu:

• paideia (Greek)
  • paedia (Latin)
  • paedeia (hybrid)
in plural:
  • paideias (Greek+Spanish)
  • paideiai (Greek+Greek)
  • paideiae (Greek+Latin)
  • paedias (Latin+Spanish)
  • ... and so on.
Imho, if you don't like paideias, the "pure Greek" form paideiai, suggested by Scrabulista, looks most plausible to me.

The Kenosha Kid

I suggest you monophthongize entirely, as in accordance with Romance development: plural pedee.

(this is a joke)

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus