Passage from Matthew

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Oh, ok -- I knew this was the case for imperative/infinitive, but not for the other moods. But even so, it seems sort of weird; isn't "not striking your foot against a stone" more a progressive/ongoing action than a single action viewed from beginning to end?
I don't think so. It's referring the whole action of striking his foot against a stone — bang! and that's it — rather than to the process of being striking his foot against a stone.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

But it's negated...well, I suppose in that moment that he falls, he won't strike his foot against a stone (which otherwise would have been a split-second sort of action.)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I think I understand your thought: you were thinking that he must always not be striking his foot against a stone or sort of like repeatedly not striking his foot against a stone.

But the foot-striking here is considered more like something that could happen once, but will be prevented.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

I think I understand your thought: you were thinking that he must always not be striking his foot against a stone or sort of like repeatedly not striking his foot against a stone.
Yes, that's exactly it.

But the foot-striking here is considered more like something that could happen once, but will be prevented.
Ok, thanks. :)