Pathetic Mistranslations

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

'Where do we find (anything that has diſſapear'd) into our houſes?'
Google Translate gives this: Quod ubi fieri occultus domos nostras?

Intertran gives this: Qua operor nos reperio quicumque has evanui in nostrum domus?

I'm not sure where they got that translation, then… :hysteric:

LVXORD

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

It was meant to mean: Here we found our homes.

EDIT: Here's a link

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Found it. It is supposed to be "Where we found our homes". Be careful to capitalise the w, or you get qua inventa sunt tabernacula nostra.

LVXORD

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Hm, for this GT gives me ubi inventis tabernacula nostra.
For this it gives hic nobis in domo.
Hmm...last time I checked, for me, it gave Ubi inventis in domos nostras. Weird how it differs sometimes...:confused:

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Hm, for this GT gives me ubi inventis tabernacula nostra... Perhaps it's changed its mind...
For this it gives hic nobis in domo.
You forgot the capitalisation. It is very important in English, and changes the entire sentence ;)

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Tumblr is a popular website. Of course they can hire professional translators (and many Latinists host their pages there), but they cheaped out.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Oh dear...

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Verus Sum

While new to Latin, I am more than familiar with English and I deplore their use of the singular "tattoo" in the page title "Latin Quotes for Tattoo". If they cannot even use their own language correctly, they should leave others well enough alone.

alexios

HBO's Rome had some annoying ones in it. One thing that bothered me the most was how the characters would often insert (usually wrong) Latin phrases into regular English, even if the English equivalent of the word would have sufficed just fine.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Ah, what phrases? I don't remember or just didn't noticed at the time. One think that did irk me was the slaves calling their masters "dominus!"; I thought they should have used the vocative "domine!". But I liked the series.

alexios

They'd often say stuff like "Bene!" in a conversation, which was just silly to me. "Bona dia!" was always used too, even though I'm fairly certain it was never said by Romans. I liked the show, though I stopped watching after the first episode of Season 2.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Nothing really wrong with bene, but bona dia indeed isn't Latin. Or maybe that's how it sounded but they were actually saying bonam diem or bona dies? That would at least make both words technically Latin, but Romans didn't say that either as far as I know.