Please use the "like" feature

Imperfacundus

Reprobatissimus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Any others? It doesn't look like it is possible to rename the actual names of the individual fora.

When I did the localisation for my Latin editor I used imperatives for commands, but it looks like the person who set the Latin translations up used the subjunctive: Dēsignentur omnia fora esse lecta

What do you think?
I feel like infinitives would make more sense for the Latin translations for 'like', 'quote', etc.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I feel like infinitives would make more sense for the Latin translations for 'like', 'quote', etc.
I struggled a while over this one. At the moment we have a mixture of imperatives and subjunctives. Is there a general consensus that infinitives would be better?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I don't know. My first instinct would be for jussive subjunctives, maybe, but that isn't really based on any evidence. Unfortunately I don't think we have any authentic examples of this sort "options" thing in Latin. French would use infinitives, but that doesn't mean Latin would do the same.

Iáson

Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris

I'm not quite sure what use of the infinitive it would correspond to.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

French would use infinitives, but that doesn't mean Latin would do the same.
Though for "like" on Facebook the French is literally "I like". For this specific option maybe that's the most logical thing to do in Latin as well, but probably not for other things like "mark forums read".

Iáson

Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris

I think I marginally prefer the imperative, as it seems to have a degree of internal logic to it, but this could just be the influence of the English on me.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

There are a lot of other things along the same vein: edit, warn, reply, send reply, delete, search, ignore, watch...

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I'm not quite sure what use of the infinitive it would correspond to.
In at least some cases it could be the object of an implied volo or the like.
I think I marginally prefer the imperative, as it seems to have a degree of internal logic to it, but this could just be the influence of the English on me.
I don't know; the imperative feels a bit weird to me. For example, when you "like" something, you aren't commanding the machine to like the post, but rather saying that you like it. Similarly, when you click "follow", you aren't commanding the machine to follow the forum member, but rather saying that you wish to follow them.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Russian uses infinitives in such cases, for example. Not just French.
I'm beginning to lean towards the infinitive as well, in some cases like "follow" for example. But I think "like" should really rather be in the first person indicative (unless we used placet, actually, which would be fitting, but I'm not sure it would be possible to put usernames in the dative).

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Though for "like" on Facebook the French is literally "I like". For this specific option maybe that's the most logical thing to do in Latin as well, but probably not for other things like "mark forums read".
The infinitive would cover all options.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Gerundive of obligation?

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Although we could use placet for like, and the current system for x likes this.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

when you click "follow", you aren't commanding the machine to follow the forum member, but rather saying that you wish to follow them.
Of course you are commanding the machine, or I suppose strictly speaking the software that tells the machine what to do, because whatever it is will follow your profile independent of the device you are using. Then it does some techy things, as a result of which you are directed to their posts or whatever it is following someone is supposed to do.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Of course you are commanding the machine. Then it does some techy things, as a result of which you are directed to their posts or whatever it is following someone is supposed to do.
You're sort of commanding the machine to do some techy things so that you may follow the user, but you're not commanding it to follow the user in question. You're the one who follows the user, not the machine.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

The software follows the user, or at least the user insofar as they interact with it. I just sit here and marvel. Actually, I don't, because I'm not following anyone, but I marvel at other things. I don't really understand following, because it's not as though the forum is so large that you're likely to miss anything. I suppose it's a way to get hold of people's posts before they've been neurotically edited and blackmail them about it later, if you didn't happen to have been around to catch it at the time.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I think placet is a good choice, incidentally.

I agree, I think it is an excellent choice. :) What do you think now? Does it work?

What would unlike be—it isn't really non placet, I tend to use it when I clicked the wrong button by accident.